Dominique with crook in neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by collisinana, Dec 2, 2012.

1. collisinana

collisinana Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2012
    My dominique was attacked by a hawk yesterday and now he's always turning his head to the left and never to the right even when he's turning in that direction. He looks pretty miserable. I'm think he has a crook in his neck. What should I do about it? Just wait it out? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

2. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

I am not a veterinarian, nor an expert on this, but my first reaction was nerve damage. Were there any lacerations on his neck?

3. collisinana

Oct 3, 2012
    I hadn't really examined his neck until an hour or so ago when I discovered a very gruesome gash on the back of his neck behind layers of feather. At first I had a panick attack because I'm not too great at that stuff but I managed to put some tea tree oil on it to keep off the bugs. It could probably benefit from something covering it but there's no open skin around it to attach it too.

4. stevetone

Ugh! I would be a little squeamish with that, too.

Keep it clean like you're doing. Hopefully it will heal up and start to allow normal neck function. I have not had the opportunity to put a bandage on a chicken before, but it would be great if there was a way to cover it--maybe with that gauze vet wrap that sticks to itself?

5. stevetone

This stuff 3M VetWrap Bandaging Tape. Don't use red.

Oh, and keep him away from the flock. They will pick at him because he looks different.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  6. collisinana

Oct 3, 2012
    Ok, I'll see if I can find some, maybe at petsmart. In the meantime, It's sort of covered by his feathers so hopefully it'll keep out the bugs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by