1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Dominique x Speckled Sussex

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickenlver2013, Jul 26, 2014.

1. What would it look like if I bred my Dom roosters to my Speckled Sussex hens?

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging 8 Years

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    All black with grey bars. You would not be able to sex them based on down at hatch.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You'll get birds that look pretty much like a Dominique, color wise. Black barred with rose combs. I do believe they'll have white legs, though.

I was all excited to add some speckled Sussex to my mixed breeds a few years ago, until I found out the speckling is recessive. I thought they'd give me really funky, pretty colored chicks, but unless you breed them to another speckled bird, they act pretty much like any red/mahogany bird genetically. And black pretty much trumps red. You may have some red leakage, especially in the hackle and saddle feathers of your males.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: