1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dominiques and Marans - I need some help with genetics!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BlueMoon, Feb 3, 2009.

1. BlueMoon

BlueMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    I have about six Dominique hens and one Cuckoo Marans rooster. Looks like they've had offspring resulting in three roosters and one hen. The hen is darker than the roosters, has a rose comb and a more calm personality than I associate with the Dominique hens.
    Of the three roosters, all are barred having yellow legs with small streaks of black. One has the pointed comb, like the Marans and the others have pea combs.

Ideally, I want to continue with the Dominique breed, but not bring in anymore roosters. Without having the Standards of Perfection, is the comb key to the breed or other factors more important?

thank you

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    You can not "continue with the Dominique breed' by crossong a Marams cock on Dominique hens-that will produce Dominique/Marans crosses [obviously].
    One breed characteristic of the Dominique is the rose comb-without that it's not a Dominique. You say you're getting pea combed birds which is a bit of a puzzle. There are other characteristics the differ between Marans & Dominiques-all of which combine to define the respective breeds.
    So, if it's Dominiques you want you'll need a Dominique male.

3. BlueMoon

BlueMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    Whoops, meant Rosecomb, typed Pea Comb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by