Dominique's or Barred Rock's?? Att: Speckled Hen

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ozark hen, Sep 3, 2007.

1. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I need speckled hen's advice here. I was told I had six barred rocks after the hatchery told me they sold me dominiques. I think now that I have five dominiques and one barred rock. The barred rock is a roo with pinkish gray legs. here is a photo of him.
    [​IMG]
    Now here are what I think are dominiques..yellow legs and flat combs. first photo is my roo
    [​IMG]
    here is one of my hens, they all look like this one but one's tail kind of droops down and not up like the others.
    [​IMG]
    I need some verification here from someone who actually owns dominiques, please and barred rocks. thanks a bunch[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2007
  2. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    here is a side view of one of my hens
    [​IMG]

3. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    You have dominiques.. Rose comb=dominiques
    And the straight comb rooster possibly came from a dominique mating as I know Mcmurray's will produce straight combs ever so often, along with the off colored legs

4. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I can say those are deffinatly not barred rocks... I have 15 of them 2 roos and 13 hens... I can put up a couple of pics if you would like of my hens... not sure if I have one of the roos... but I can look... Just let me know...

and by the way... where did you get your sign??? I WANT ONE!!!! actually been looking for the kind you put on a post... but cant find anything that says "chicken crossing"!

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    One way to tell is by the width of the black bands on the feathers.
    A Dominiques black bands are wider than the white bands, on a barred rock they are more even.
    Barred rocks have single combs, Dominiques have rose combs.

You have Dominiques

6. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    In the photo of the roo with the comb standing up he is a barred rock as speckled hen told me that a long time ago. But would one of you post a pic of your dominique hens? I am so tickled to actually have dominiques. I hand picked them all as two day old chicks from a local hatchery.
    My sign I got from my daughter years and years ago. It has broken off the stake that goes into the ground and I want another one now. ha I really think they came from brookstone, I am not positive though. I believe they are an on line catalog store now.
    Thanks Red

7. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I don't have any Dominiques, but here is a pick of a barred rock pullet.
    [​IMG]

8. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    thanks red, at least, I know for sure mine aren't barred rocks. All this time I have been saying I had barred rocks. [​IMG] Now here is my roo who I think is a barred rock but not sure due to color of his legs? He is huge and is only 20 1/2 weeks old. He is already as large as my alpha rooster who is one year old.

[​IMG]

9. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    This is my barred rock roo.
    [​IMG]

10. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO