Dominiques or Barred Rocks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BarredBuff, Dec 23, 2009.

1. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    I am in a dilema we are about to order chicks from McMurray and I dont know wether to get Dominiques or Barred Rocks, if you have reasons to order or not order please tell me. They are basically the same. I just cant decide.

2. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    I think that barred rocks lay a little more. It could be that, or the color of the egg is a little different. Something like that. I really dont know

bump

3. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    a barred rock comes from a dominique and a black cochin i believe, we have barred rocks but you cant go wrong with either

4. BarredBuff

Dec 6, 2009
    I sorta want them because they are a heritage breed and I have heritage apple trees and I use heirloom garden seeds. Have anybody on here raised Dominiques? I pretty sure their is not much of a difference between the Barred Rock and the Dominiques.

5. BarredBuff

Dec 6, 2009
    I sorta want them because they are a heritage breed and I have heritage apple trees and I use heirloom garden seeds. Have anybody on here raised Dominiques? I pretty sure their is not much of a difference between the Barred Rock and the Dominiques.

6. cw

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    there is some physical differnce of course (like the combs)
    as far as one that fits into the heritage verity i would guess both would fit in,

7. cw

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
  8. BarredBuff

Dec 6, 2009
    Dominiques have a more slender longer body unlike the barred roocks who are plump and short (atleast mine) then the Rosecomb Dominique and the Single Comb Barred Rock

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by