1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dominiques or Barred Rocks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Country Parson, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Country Parson

Country Parson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Bellefontaine, OH
    I have a mixed flock of DP heritage birds, about half of which are Barred Rocks. My original plan was to keep introducing more BRs and cull the other breeds when they stop laying. But I've been hearing alot about Dominiques. Can anyone offer a comparison/contrast?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

For many hatchery quality birds, there is virtually no difference. There seems to have been massive inter breeding of the two. There are rumors that some breeding farms the hatcheries use simply sort them according to comb. Single comb=Barred Rocks while rose combs=Doms. FWIW.

From what I have seen on most photos here and in my own stock from hatcheries, I tend to agree. Truly getting Barred Rocks or Doms closer to type would require buying from a breeder.

3. simplynewt

simplynewt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I have 4 Dom's and thought I originally got BR's but as the girls grew older, their rose comb became more prevailent.

What I am interested in finding out is how to tell a Dom Hen from a Dom Roo.

4. Fred's Hens

The males are lighter in overall appearance. At hatch, they can be sexed by their head spot. A male's spot is larger and irregular in shape. The female's headspot is small and rounder in shape.

The pullets often have a more pronounced streak of black down the front of their legs. The roos stand more upright, are more attentive and tend to be a bit more aggressive, but the biggest difference is wide white bars. The overall appearance of the male is brighter and whiter, while the female is blacker looking with white spots. By age 7 weeks, the roos sprout red in their combs and junior starter wattles appear. The pullets comb are much more pale in color and no wattles.

While these are Rocks, the differentiation of a BR or Dom is the same. Side by side, it is very obvious.

[​IMG]

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Both good birds!!

6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I have 2 Dom hens and 1 BR roo. As adults, their barring is very similar.
    [​IMG]

7. Fred's Hens

Apparently, IIRC, similar to the Rhode Island Red, which comes in single comb, and more rarely the rose comb, the Barred Rocks also were bred in both forms until it came to accept one or the other into the APA. Apparently the single comb version won out and was entered. Also, once upon a time the Dom was apparently a different, distinct bird, a bit more gamey, but the lines are now so crossed that there little to no difference (other than the comb) in most hatchery stock.

Perhaps a better historical report can be supplied by another poster.

8. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Typical dominiques are lighter in build and slower growing than typical barred Plymouth rocks. All barred Plymouth rocks have slower growing feathers which is part of difference in what makes barring of barred rocks appear almost as rings. Generally the alternating barrs of the barred rock have a stronger contrast. Dominiques can fly better than barred rocks (major interest of mine). Body shapes and feathering interact to give different types (overal shape of body).

A couple hatchery strains of Dominiques appear to be very much crossed with barred rocks and at least one line of show Dominiques also appears to have heavy barred rock influence. Crossed lines of Dominiques have larger and darker eggs like a barred rock.

Generally I can distinguish Dominiques for barred rocks from a 100 feet away. Breeding to meet SOP generally makes distinguishing easier.

9. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    I have 4 Dominiques who are 24 weeks. They are very friendly and don't mind being picked up or held. My 5th Dom turned out to be a rooster, back in October I had rehomed him at 17 weeks, he was also very friendly(out of my 6 chickens, he was my favorite) I hear he is still a very sweet rooster.

10. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    My Dominique is much calmer than my Barred Rocks. She is a little smaller, and doesn't mind being held. My Barred Rocks are a little bossier over the other girls. Leg coloring is also different between the two breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by