1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dominiques ROCK!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by juliawitt, Dec 22, 2009.

1. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    Little chicks are 18 weeks old. Will be 19 weeks tomorrow on the 22nd. Got my first "Teeny Weeny" egg last friday from one of my Doms!! I had no expectations of getting eggs for at least 3 more weeks! Got another little egg yesterday. So far it seems that only one of the little doms are laying....but, who would have "thought" it. I am so proud of her.....I sent pics to everyone. I will try to post. The little eggs are so cute......I haven't been able to eat one yet. I keep posting that Doms are the best. The proof is in the pudding. My doms are little pets. Easily handled, friendly and now little early layers. What a great Christmas present.

2. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Yay for your little Dominique hen!

Some of my very first chickens were Dominiques, and I really like them too. They are sassy little ladies!

3. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Mozeltov! [​IMG]

My first one that laid is a buff comet (golden comet) at 16 weeks. Two more joined her at 17 weeks and 6 more at 18 weeks. Mine don't know it is winter time and that they are supposed to slow down! We take camper chairs out to the pen and sit with them of an evening and many jump up in our laps and on our shoulders to talk to us and tell us all about their day. We call it 'chicken TV'. Good thing the neighbors cannot see us or we would be committed! [​IMG] Chooks rock!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by