dominiques vs. bared rocks?

silverfilly

Peepin N' Cheepin
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
Kansas
Can anyone tell me the differences in these, egg laying abilities, meat prospects? temperment?

I like them but im tring to figure out what would be the better breed for me.

Thanks Kimberly

Hi Kimberly,

Since nobody else has seen your post yet, I'll try to answer, based on very limited experience....

I have a couple of Dominiques and some Barred Rock/Dominique crosses. I got them a few weeks ago. They are not laying yet, but I believe that they would be if I were supplementing light in the coop.

I wasn't really planning on getting the crosses, but Speckled Hen had told me that you can't go wrong with a Barred Rock, and they were so very cute, so I thought, what the heck. I'm really glad that I did get them, because their personalities are great. They are friendlier and less skittish than the Dominiques.

This may not be true of all Dominiques. These birds were not handled much in their previous home. In fact, the man that I bought them from tried to talk me out of buying them. He told me that I wanted lap chickens, and these were not lap chickens. Said I should buy day olds and hand raise them. And I will, in spring, but I wanted eggs sooner, so I did buy them.

I've spent a lot of time with them, and the Barred Rock/Dominique crosses are really coming around nicely. They will eat of my hand, let me pet them, etc. The Dominiques are not unfriendly, but they don't really seek me out the way the others do.

Also, the crosses are much meatier looking birds.

Well, to sum up my long winded story, if I wanted to get more barred birds, I think that I would get Barred Rocks, just based on the sweetness factor.

I have a Barred bunch coming next week from Ideal! shipped 2/6
I absolutely
love.gif
Barred Rocks!!! (& love the little Barred butts) lays a bigger egg & is a lb or so bigger than Dominique (from what I heard Dominique can be a little more aloof)

I had to get rid of my 2 BR over summer because all chickens were pecking them to death. I added the 2 to an already established group & it didn't work!

I ordered these guys ((being shipped 2/6 from ideal)) because I
love.gif
the barring & for the future generations:

BR definitely has a Great personality so, I picked the BR for my roo

pullets one of each:
BR
Dominique - eggs a little smaller & great forager (better eggs, enhanced personality)

Cucko Maren - personality can go either way(will make darker eggs & better personality)

Barred Cochin - I love the Cochin GREAT personality but, doesn't lay as much (BR mix she will have a Great personality & lay better!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom