Dominiques & Wyandottes

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chickfever, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Chickfever

Chickfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    Southwest VA
    What do you think of them?

Can I cross a Dominique hen with a RIR roo to get something similar to a black sexlink? I know that it's normally a RIR roo and a barred rock hen but since they are similar in colors.....

Are the wyandottes a hardy breed? Do they winter well? How about their egg production? I'm used to the black sexlinks egg production so I guess I'm trying to compare everything to them [​IMG].

2. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    Yes you will get a black sexlink

I have read Wyandottes are hardy & will produce about 200 eggs the first year

I don't have any of my own though

3. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    I love my Dominiques. Very good girls. We get 3-5 eggs a day.

4. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Yes, you will get black sexlinks. We crossed a rose comb RIR roo on barred rock hens, some had rose combs, others had single combs. If you get a RC RIR roo, then you should have all rose comb sexlinks, so a sexlink with the advantage of a 'winter proof' comb.
    Yes wyandottes are very hardy, ours are the only ones laying in the winter, when there is snow, they walk right through it like its nothing, compared to the barred rocks which try to tip toe across it.

5. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    I think the rose comb is dominate too.Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by