1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dominiques

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by allcreatures, Aug 7, 2009.

1. allcreatures

allcreatures Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2009
    Montana
    Does anyone have some Dominiques, I'm in the process of possibly purchasing a few, but don't even know what they look like or what their temperment is. Please post a photo or two and thanks for the help.

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    they look like barred rocks...I think because they have dominique blood in them...

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  4. encorepistol

encorepistol Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    Actually they are barred but not as cleanly as a barred rock. They also have rose combs and a more swept tail. I'd love to find some nice dominiques but haven't been able to find what I'm looking 4.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    These are not my birds....
    Here is a picture of a nice Dominiques rooster.
    They should weight around roosters 7 lbs hens 5 lbs ( more or less for hatchery stock)
    [​IMG]
    Here is a real nice bantam Dominiques rooster.
    Bantams should weight around roosters 28 oz hens 24 oz ( more or less for hatchery stock)
    [​IMG]
    In comparison the Dominiques is a medium size bird compared to the Barred Rock.
    Barred Rock are 9.5 lbs for rooster and 7.5 lbs for the hens. ( more or less for hatchery stock) Body type and barring is different all so.
    Here is a nice Barred Rock rooster.
    [​IMG]
    And here is a nice bantam Barred Rock rooster
    Bantams should weight around roosters 36 oz hens 32 oz ( more or less for hatchery stock)
    [​IMG]

Chris

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Hi, I bought this beautiful roo as a chick and sold him to my aunt. He was hatched by Mr. Bob Berry or bobsbiddies here on BYC. He is NPIP certified to ship nationwide and I doubt you can beat his prices, I think he can sex them also. You can go to his personal page to see more pics of his birds and contact him at <[email protected]>.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

We raise Dom's, and the parent stock was from show birds. BUT I do not show chickens so I cannot speak as to their show quality. I will try to get some pics in the daylight. Our birds are very docile, and HUge birds. I also know that the parent stock was imported from Europe. I was having a hard time finding the old timey, true to standard type Dom's also until I found these. I also had to drive 5 hours ONE way to get the eggs.

8. mightieskeeper

mightieskeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2009
    Clio Michigan
    I like my Doms, they are very nervous around me. I am going to pick up a cockerel in the morning. I can't wait. Ryan

9. rhodiegal

rhodiegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2007
    North Georgia
    Dominiques are pretty popular here where I live in the South and people I know who have them seem to like them (I have no personal experience with them). I was surprised to see them listed as a rare breed in an article I was reading recently. The Georgia Dept of Ag puts out a Market Bulletin every couple of weeks online that usually has Dominiques for sale from private individuals, though I don't know if they would ship them.

10. WestTexasFarmboy

WestTexasFarmboy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2008
    Wilson, Texas
    I have 5 that are 8 weeks old. They are the friendliest of the bunch, the only ones I can pick up. I have a roo that looks a lot like the pics already posted (or he will when he gets a bit older). I really like them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by