DominiqueXAustralorp

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by alabamachick, May 13, 2011.

1. alabamachick

alabamachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2010
    Alabama
    I let my little red bantam hen (Not sure of Breed, shes a TSC special) Henny Penny hatch two eggs out after she FINALLY became broody. She hatched one of her own and she stole an egg from my australorp hen as well.

Well after 20 days one chick was hatched by 6am, and the other shortly thereafter. The chicks are True Rose comb Dominique Roo over the Australorp hen, and then the Dom over Henny Penny, whatever she is.

Both look exactly the same from what I can tell, the one was dry, the other had literally JUST hatched, but still appeared to be black with a head spot.

ANYWAYS to the whole point of this post, according to head spot, dry chick is a hen, and wet chick "appears" to maybe be a roo? Will the head spot trick even work with mutt chickens??

Any thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    It is my understanding that ina mix the spot isnt a sure indicator. Only on a pure bred dominique or barrred rock.

3. alabamachick

alabamachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2010
    Alabama
    Well crud...I was excited to see the head spot on them, thinking I would know what I was getting!

4. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    If you think about Black Sex links, it is their particular cross that results in the males having the white spots. Maybe you're mutts will work out the same way. : )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by