Dominque: Pullet or Cockerel? PICS

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sarahm, Oct 12, 2009.

1. sarahm

sarahm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2009
    CT
    Here's my friendly and assertive 5-week old dominique pullet from MPC, posing gingerly for the camera. Her comb is getting red, a bit of waddle is starting to show, and she had a small bump on the back of each leg. We have only one dominique so no one to compare her to. Does it look like she is a he--or do I still have reason to hope?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We are in the city and not supposed to have roosters. But as you see we are already very attached so I would love some good news.

[​IMG]

What's your verdict?

2. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    Comb color looks a little suspicious, but feathering looks like female. I say give it some time to grow a little more. (But leaning towards pullet)

3. sarahm

sarahm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2009
    CT
    Thanks!

4. mightieskeeper

mightieskeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2009
    Clio Michigan
    I have a cockerel that is 5 months old and does not crow. Maybe you will be lucky.

5. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Looks like a pullet to me. The cockerels appear much more silver. Here's a pic of one of mine, at nearly the same age.

[​IMG]

6. Rodeoclown1189

Rodeoclown1189 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    East TN
    i say pullet because in the dominique for the fact Pullets have black shadowing on the shank as the cockerels do not. thats my opinion

7. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I'm no expert when it comes to something other than a single comb but I'm leaning towards a pullet. The feathering seems a bit dark for a cockreal.

8. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    I am only replying becuase I LOVE Dominiques. I am surprised that there are so few post about them. They are the sweetest, most easily handled chicken ever. My 5 Doms are the first to greet me, the first to "BEG" to be picked up and will fall asleep in my lap. Even as little peeps, they were the quickest to do everything. They were so sweet that my husband tried to get me to train them to a clicker. The breed are good layers and meat chickens. An all around great chicken. I will keep my fingers crossed that you have a pullet. What a great pet/layer you will have.

9. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    Quote:This gets you about as far as head spots do. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Same way with barred rocks. Some males will have a dark wash, depending on the lines.

10. bigchickenman

bigchickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Miamisburg,Ohio
    Looks like a pullet to me,and welcome to BYC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by