Don’t know how long hen has been on eggs!

MillieTu

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 5, 2015
England
My hen is broody and sitting on 14 eggs, I think noticed her 23 days ago. I have moved her to a separate coop and candled at approx 18 days (dark with air line at the bottom) I’m unsure how many days she has been “incubating” them. What shall I do?, how long shall I wait? Will they hatch
First time hatchers 😊

Attachments

• C1E7A26B-08C7-4AEC-87E7-B8B56F386E8E.png
    C1E7A26B-08C7-4AEC-87E7-B8B56F386E8E.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
Wait at least a few more days, especially if the weather has been cool, as I am guessing it has in your location.

I just had one that hatched on day 25 or 26! I am in a cool climate at elevation.

So if the nest you found her on was accessible to multiple hens, you could have staggered batch, meaning not all eggs are due to hatch at the same time. If a fresh egg was laid in the clutch each day this means chick could hatch each day for 21 days! This usually ends badly.what I would do is continue to let her set, and when she has a couple days worth of chicks, then
Move the unhatched eggs and finish them in an incubator. You could tuck the new hatchlings under her for a week, but after that newborn chicks get knocked about by the week olds.
All this assuming you have a rooster and eggs are fertle.

Wait at least a few more days, especially if the weather has been cool, as I am guessing it has in your location.

I just had one that hatched on day 25 or 26! I am in a cool climate at elevation.

Yes weather has cooled down over the past 7 days in my area. Still nothing yet but hen still keeping them warm 😊

So if the nest you found her on was accessible to multiple hens, you could have staggered batch, meaning not all eggs are due to hatch at the same time. If a fresh egg was laid in the clutch each day this means chick could hatch each day for 21 days! This usually ends badly.what I would do is continue to let her set, and when she has a couple days worth of chicks, then
Move the unhatched eggs and finish them in an incubator. You could tuck the new hatchlings under her for a week, but after that newborn chicks get knocked about by the week olds.
All this assuming you have a rooster and eggs are fertle.
Yes her nest was accessible to 4 other hens, we moved her to a new coop approx 14 days after sitting on them. I have the incubator ready if needed 😊 I think we are on day 26 and still nothing!

So she was moved to her own space 14 days in, so no new eggs after that.
I think that would mean you could see chicks anytime for the next 8 to 10 days.
Let us know what happens.
You did say you have at least one rooster right?
I'll keep you updated :)
Yes 1 rooster, all the eggs are fertile. I removed a few that weren't

5 hens to one rooster, i would expect all to be fertile.
What you may see while candeling would be development at different stages due to stagered batch.
personally, i never candle. Especially with a broody hen.
What hatches, hatches. What does not, does not and i discard it then.
never had an egg explode under a hen or in my incubator.

How cute!! I currently have two bantams and a guinea hen broody, after I went on vacation and my husband was a little less careful about egg collection than normal 😅 So far I have two chicks and three keets, with probably 20-30 more eggs cooking. They are all at very different stages of development and I have just been removing the babies to a brooder once dry. I am not sure how long the girls will stay broody, if they will hatch all of the eggs or not. I did have to put the guinea eggs under the chickens because the guinea was crushing the babies trying to hatch ☹️ Good luck with your feathery friends!!

Back
Top Bottom