Don’t like egg taste?

Chicken-Momma

In the Brooder
Sep 14, 2022
Oklahoma
Hi everyone! Maybe I’m strange, but our chickens just started laying eggs last week and I don’t like how the eggs taste. They are just too eggy. I have tried eating a fried egg on avocado toast and making deviled eggs and didn’t finish either one because of the eggy taste. I know I am probably ruined because of store-bought eggs, but I really want to like my chickens eggs. Do you all have any tips on how I can get used to them? Thanks!

Taste is an acquired thing. Our brains glom onto a certain taste as being the "authorized version" and when we eat a slightly different version of the taste, it seems unnatural. By continuing to eat the thing with the newer version of the taste, we reprogram out brains to accept it as the default taste. In other words, give your superior farm fresh eggs a little more time, and your brain will learn to love them.

Taste is an acquired thing. Our brains glom onto a certain taste as being the "authorized version" and when we eat a slightly different version of the taste, it seems unnatural. By continuing to eat the thing with the newer version of the taste, we reprogram out brains to accept it as the default taste. In other words, give your superior farm fresh eggs a little more time, and your brain will learn to love them.
Thanks!! My husband hunts deer, so when we first started eating venison I had a similar problem with not liking the taste, but I used ground venison for tacos and spaghetti sauce and things like that with seasoning. Now I am able to eat a venison steak, so I am hoping it will be the same with the eggs!

Some people have really delicate palates and can taste subtle differences in flavors. It could be taste buds, maybe smell. Sounds like you may have one of those.

As Nuthatched suggested, diet can add flavors. If yours forage they may be eating something that flavors the eggs. Or maybe you are feeding them certain things with a strong flavor. I generally think of things like onions, garlic, fish, or shellfish as likely culprits. So think along those lines.

Storing eggs next to foods with strong flavors can flavor the eggs. Like storing eggs in the refrigerator next to fish.

There is nothing in the hen's internal egg making factory that is going to make any difference in flavor of the eggs, whether the commercial hens or yours. It has to be something happening at your end, probably what they are eating. This has happened more than once so it is not a one off. You are probably not storing your eggs any different than the store bought eggs. It just about has to be something they are eating. I don't see anything on your list that jumps out at me though there could be certain vegetation or bugs in the run.

I don't have any different advice than the others, try to retrain your palate. That's not always easy or pleasant. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom