Don Schrider Pens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ranlan, Dec 13, 2011.

1. ranlan

ranlan Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2011
    I have been reading "The Small Scale Poultry Flock" and am reading about the pens built by Don Schrider on pvs 66 & 67. The appear to be built with Priefert dog kennels. I am looking t more ics of how the half roof is attacked and if there is a cover over the entire pen. Does anyone have any better pics of pnes like those? I have searched the internet and can't find them. I hope someone can help.

2. swatchick

swatchick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    Look here:
    http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/6/6-5/want_healthy_birds_give_them_fresh_air.html

Are these better than what you had found previously?

I didn't know about Don Schrider, but I built basically the same thing, except with a three sided, covered straw bale structure as one end of the pen. I use a prefert kennel (with hardware cloth on the lowest 3'), with welded wire over the top and, at times, as tarp over the top of the wire. It works great for my flock!

3. ranlan

ranlan Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2011
    Thank you SwatChick,
    That is another of the articles that I found. It still doesn't show how the partial roof is attached. That is what I am wanting to see!

4. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    Wow, that was a very interesting read.

5. swatchick

swatchick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    Well, I don't know how he did it, but for the permanent roof I made a wooden frame that fit over the top of the portion to be covered -- 2x4 attached to make a rectangle of the correct size, then I attached wire to that for predator proofing, and attached a few cross pieces to which I could attach corrugated roofing. To give it a slight slope, which is all I need for rain water runoff, I just put shims (small pieces of wood) on the side I wanted to have higher up (so it would drain away from the run). The permanently roofed portion has a wooden framed foundation, so I ran some boards from the foundation to the roof frame to tie it all together and keep the roof from blowing off in high winds, but you could also use tie downs that sink into the ground or wire the frame of the roof to the prefert panels too (though if you have very high winds, I'd probably tie down the panels in some way with spikes or the like, just to be safe). Sorry I don't have any pictures of the process -- didn't know then how incredibly helpful the pictures are on these forums!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by