1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Donald

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Miss Ducky, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Miss Ducky

Miss Ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Michigan
    The guy who boards my friends' horse has a duck, I think a pekin. His son gave it to him for thanksgiving dinner one year, but he couldn't kill it so he ended up just keeping it. Anyway, the duck, Donald, does not have any duck friends, and had bonded rather strongly with the horses. My friend has noticed that Donald has been limping, and has some black stuff on his leg. She could not get a closer look because they couldn't catch him. If they do catch him, there is a strong possibility that I'll adopt him. We do not have any horses, but I do have three khaki campbells. If I do adopt Donald, what should I do about the frostbite, and introducing him to my ducks?

2. Conventio Liberi

Conventio Liberi Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2010
    Indy!
    You may want to have him checked out by a vet.
    You don't want him bringing anything into your flock unexpected.

At the very least check for lice/mites/worms etc... Before you introduce him.

3. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Perhaps bumble foot.

4. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    a lot could have caused him to limp. Perhaps Bumble foot, Sprain, Fracture< or even just an infected cut or other wound!

hopes this helps.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    maybe one of the horses accidently stepped on him

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by