1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

done broody- when will lay again ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chixbvs, Jul 20, 2008.

1. chixbvs

chixbvs Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2008
    New to chicken- have a Sumatran cross hen that was going strong one egg a day until about three weeks ago - lost her mind - sat on empty nest until 2 days ago. Now out and about like nothing ever was amiss- when will she start laying again ?

2. MsBentleyboy

MsBentleyboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Kentucky girl
    The heat may have caused this... did she lose feathers?

3. chixbvs

chixbvs Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2008
    She did not lose her feathers and seems to be back to normal. It has been hot (100) for here, but I've been misting them, putting a fan on them, giving frozen fruit, ice cubes in the waterer, etc and they are not panting or looking heat stressed- the others (the brat pack (4 teenagers) and the three slacker hens that seldom, if ever, lay) are behaving usually. I SO don't want to have to buy eggs - I was just hoping for a ball park idea of when she might come back on line- thanks for your help

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Mine Silkies started laying about 3 or so weeks after they stopped being broody.
    Then they went broody again about 1.5 weeks after that. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by