DONE building a new wood bator - new pix

BeardedChick

Songster
11 Years
Jun 13, 2008
The Witness Protection Program
I need a hatcher, so I picked up this thing at the Habitat store... Isn't it gonna be cute?

wbator1.jpg

I need to replace the back, hinge the top, cut it so I can have a glass viewing plate... It will be insulated and then probably have FRP on the interior (the stuff they use in professional kitchens).

Need to get this done soon so I can move in the serama eggs & give them higher humidity...

More pics to follow. Hopefully I can finish it up today and tomorrow.

Updated 11/18:

It's finally finished, calibrated, and is ready for eggs!

batorfront.jpg

I found a stencil of a hatching egg and used that for the window on top. Needs a bit of stain, but that will have to wait until the hatch is done.

batortop.jpg

Things that are a little different on this bator versus my cooler-bator... Under the wood top is a full size lexan window, so you can see everything and the heat stays in. I wired in two lights and am using 25w bulbs. One bulb got too hot. I wired in parallel and can scan in a diagram if anyone wants to see. It's kind of cool - if I lose a bulb, it will likely hold heat well. Had to use a larger PC fan to move air in this size bator. Turns out the larger fan is MUCH QUIETER.

There are a couple big containers of water, and three pints of rocks in the bottom for heat stabilization.

This one has 3/4" of insulation and there is white FRP panel over it, which is very easy to clean and looks nice. Two side by side aluminum cake pans (cheap) fit in the bottom, which will make it easy to clean.

batoropen.jpg

It should be able to hold quite a few eggs next season...

Last edited:
One more picture - what made converting it fairly easy is that the front slides up. It only looks like it has drawers. It had a rollout shelf in it that I have already removed.

The front face just needs some supports that it can be screwed to.

wbator2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom