Donkey Corn?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by GG4Eternity, Jan 24, 2015.

1. GG4Eternity

GG4Eternity Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2015
    Hi, I think I've been in this forum before, but I had to re-register because I forgot my name! [​IMG] My question is about a feed known as Primos Donkey Corn. I have a friend who picks up "deer corn" for me at Wal-Mart for my geese. It's just Manna Pro whole corn in a bag with a deer on it. Wal-Mart only stocks it during hunting season, when it's illegal to feed and bait deer. No joke. This week, however, there was no deer corn, but something called Primos Donkey Corn. My friend got a bag thinking it was corn, only in a different bag, but it's a pelleted or some other shaped feed made up of lots of grain products. I didn't open it, because it's going back. It is made for deer, and states not to feed it to sheep, because it has copper. Has anyone ever used this to feed geese? As I stated, it's going back to Wal-Mart, but I'm now curious about it.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Welcome back. I have never heard of Donkey Corn but I'd be leery of feeding it, good to take it back. oh and here they sell deer corn to bait deer and also apples by the ton for the same thing. I think someone is turning their heads away and not seeing the obvious

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  3. GG4Eternity

Jan 24, 2015
    Hi Miss Lydia, Thanks for the welcome back. Actually, I think it was the duck section I posted in the last time I was here. Yes, it's going back. I'm going to call the company that makes it, though, and ask them about the matter tomorrow. Here they sell apple flavored deer corn by Manna Pro! The state knows Walmart is selling it only during hunting season, but there's obviously nothing illegal about selling whole corn, even though it has all sorts of hunting stuff on the bag. If Walmart was smart, they would sell corn all year around to those who feed other animals, because their price for whole corn is much, much less than feed store prices, but equal that to Bass Pro. You've got two pretty Toulouse geese there!

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thanks for the compliment on my geese. what geese breed do you have.

I guess with the baiting issue it's don't ask don't tell [​IMG] sure isn't right though.

5. GG4Eternity

Jan 24, 2015
    Oh, I've been taking care of "dumped" geese in a park/pond for years--Romans, Embden, Chinese, Toulouse, African & mixed. Oh, and one sweet Pomeranian goose with two angel wings. Someone use to come every year and clip them, too. I guess the person who put her there.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That is so sweet of you, can you get close to them like in maybe getting them good homes away from there? I'm so glad there are people like you who care. I've met quite a few on here who do this.

7. GG4Eternity

Jan 24, 2015
    Oh, I love geese and ducks, and once you start caring for them, it's pretty impossible to stop. When I first started many years ago, I actually tried to find homes for some of the domestic ducks, because they were the ones having a hard time of it. Geese are pretty formidable, eat grass and can scare mean kids. Pekins are a whole different matter. But it turned out, those willing to give them homes in rural areas had too small ponds and too many predators. Others did not do a good job caring for the ducks, even though they appeared to be responsible owners, and they ended up dead anyway. So, I gave up. Whoever got dumped stayed until their final days. The geese did far better than the ducks. There are no more domestic ducks, and the dumping stopped about five years ago. Some of the geese are very old.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Goodness you have been at it a while then, thank goodness they have to to care for them. Maybe some pics of your friends sometime, I'd love to see them. Also glad to hear about the dumping too. Wish it was that way all over.

9. GG4Eternity

Jan 24, 2015
    Yes, I was much younger when I started! [​IMG] To stop the dumping, I had to more than once tell the local SPCA that it was cruelty to animals under state law for them to be putting domestic waterfowl in the park. They were the biggest dumpers of the geese! Then, since there was also a state law about not selling less than six baby fowl birds to any one person, I called the Dept. of Agriculture and reported any feed stores and one farm that was doing so. But before the Easter season, not during it, because I feared baby birds might end up being sold for snake food. The state guys had no qualms about going out to the places and reminding them about the law. During the last few years, only one Pekin has been dumped. He was a cutie with attitude, too, who took up with the geese, and thought he was one of them. Unfortunately, he disappeared last fall, and I have no idea what happened to him.

Your buff goose is really pretty. I've only seen them in pictures! [​IMG] Oh, thanks for showing interest in pictures of the geese. I haven't taken any in years, and should do so again. I just wished I had kept a journal with pictures from the start.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That would have been nice to have kept a journal just for your own memories I really would like to see the geese though, thanks for the compliment on my Buff I wish I could take credit for her, but we bought her from a farm not too far from us she has turned out very pretty, We got the last Buff of the year 2014. Good for you talking to the SPCA of all people dumping geese that's crazy, lets hope maybe the Pekin went home with someone as a pet. I won't even go to TSC or any feed store that sells poultry during the easter season it's just too sad to know what most of the lil ones fate will be. The water fowl have a good friend in you. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by