donkey or mule

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by froggy, Jul 5, 2007.

1. froggy

froggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    dickson,tennessee
    I am looking for a donkey for my chickens I am in tennessee. I keep loosing chickens,please help me.Lisa

2. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    Make sure that the donkey will be friendly with your birds before buying it. I had a donkey that was agressive to our dogs and cats but then also attacked my ducks and geese when they got into her pen. She stomped on one of my ducks and broke its wing, leg and back. My DH put her down for me. My chickens would go out there but the donkey would chase them so they wouldnt stay long. I was told that if the donkey wasnt raised with the type of animals that you are wanting it to protect that it really wont. Donkeys are great gaurd animals but more for larger animals. If you allow free range it is pretty hard to prevent loosing one here and there, if they go into a coop at night you could try getting a couple of geese to run with your flock, they will interact with the chickens without much problem and are usually able to run some of the smaller predators away. Good luck. Jenn

3. broncbuster07

broncbuster07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2007
    Waxahachie, TX
    Froggy, what is getting your birds?

4. froggy

May 27, 2007
    dickson,tennessee
    I am not sure they get them at about 4 am.and they eat all the insides out and leave the rest. well the was fre range but i put them in a pin last and it has 6 foot fence and something got one duck and a chicken.I found the chicken body but duck was just gone.Lisa

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  5. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    Sounds like you have a racoon problem. Your best bet would be to build a solid coop with a floor that they can go into at night and be locked up. I dont think a gaurd donkey would really do you much good since they can go from tree to tree. They will climb right up the fencing. For what you would spend on a good donkey you could build a real nice coop. Just make sure that the coop has a floor or that you burry fencing so that they can not dig under. You will have to put a top on your pen that would be coon proof. If you have any dogs you might want to tie them around your coop for a while and that might discourage the coons from further attacks too. They will keep coming back if the can have an easy meal. You can also put up a couple hotwires around the pen at 6 inches and then a foot to make them think twice about climbing your fencing. Good luck. Jenn

6. froggy

May 27, 2007
    dickson,tennessee
    whatever it is come around about 4 am and has its meal:([​IMG] and i hate that i have lost several this way.lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by