DONKEYS. Are they a good defense?

chickfillhay

Crowing
15 Years
Dec 31, 2007
Berlin Nh
I hear Donkeys are a natural enemy to coyotes.
Is that true. I really want one and thus far is making a good argument to my husband.
But those hawks are still a bother. HMMM. I haven't gone target shooting in a while. Wonder how good I am???
Sorry thinking out loud.
caf.gif

I've heard donkeys do a good job, but be aware not a MINI donkey. Also you don't want to put the donkey in danger, should a PACK of coyote's show up.

Goats do a good job keeping Hawks away - or so I've heard!

I've watched a donkey stomp and bite a dog to death. It was much more violent than I would have imagined. I don't think even a pack of coyotes would cross one. I sure wouldn't! I do think it depends a lot on the individual donkey though. Some are probably more protective and territorial than others.

I watched a pair of donkey's protect a flock of chickens once.
One of the donkey's went after the coyote and the other stood by the chickens to protect them.
Its wise to get 2 donkeys.Sometimes, even in a small field, a single guard animal can be overwhelmed.
Donkeys are extremely intelligent, with acute hearing (there is a reason for those big ears) and sight, and they are conservative by nature: they do not like change in their surroundings, and will drive off a coyote or stray dog as much because it is an intruder as from any instinctive dislike of canines.

If you're shopping for a guard donkey, stay away from intact (stallion) jacks in favor of a gelded jack or a jenny (female). Some breeders test and/or train donkeys for guard duty and will sell them with an agreement that will allow you to exchange the donkey for another if it doesn't work out as a guard. Remember too that a jenny with a foal may be too busy to watch a flock. Even a jenny in season is thinking more about jacks than about coyote

Donkeys are easy to care for — good grazing or hay and water is all they need — and delightful barnyard pets, if you accept that they are clever and rigid.

And yes even mini donkey's can be used.

This is incredible information!
wee.gif

I didn't even consider 2 donkeys. But I do have the room for them. And I like the idea of them watching out for eachother. How about with the rest of the family. Do they adjust quickly? I have 2 dogs. A Great Dane and a Golden Retriever
Not sure on llamas though.
roll.png
The only llamas I have seen are rude and spit.

Last edited:
Yep donkeys by nature are like horses and are a herd animal...mine hates the dogs that live here because when we lived at our other house the dogs chased him and he was by himself ...I would have to gelded jacks if I was you instead of a jenny . this way they will always be on guard. Yep the ears are large because they dont really have good eyesight but with their hearing it makes up for the loss in sight. I dont let mine guard the chickens as he likes being close to the horses and our mini mule.

Most will learn to accept your dogs, they may not like them, but they wont go after them as long as the dogs dont mess with them.They do adjust quickly.

Donkeys rely predominantly on sight and sound to detect intruders. the guard animal is between the intruder and themselves. The donkeys' loud brays and quick pursuit will scare away predators

In most instances donkeys will confront and chase dogs or coyotes out of the pasture. If the canines do not retreat quickly the donkeys will attack them by rising up on their hind legs and striking with both front feet. A solid blow can injure, kill or at the very least discourage the predator.

My neighbor's have a large guard donkey to protect their sheep. It works for them. Frosty's not fond of strangers, either, but I love donkeys of all sizes and always bring an apple.
big_smile.png

Donkeys and mules can make good guard animals, but sometimes, they will also go after the animal they are supposed to be guarding. Make sure the donkey or mule you get has already been exposed to chickens. Mini mules and donkeys also make great guardians, despite their size. Minis will also raise the alarm if something is going on, they are as loud as regular sized donkeys.

Back
Top Bottom