1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Donkeys With Goats?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chickenhatcher89, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Chickenhatcher89

Chickenhatcher89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    I saw an ad this morning for 2 free female donkeys and called the man right away to see if they were still available, not expecting them to be. They are and he said he would be able to deliever them for me, Well now I am having second thoughts. I have 10 goats and 3 horses that would be in the same field with the donkeys, would they get along? Any suggestions, not sure if should get them or not.
    Rebecca

2. kycowgirlchick

kycowgirlchick Chillin' With My Peeps

What size donkeys?
    I have 2 tennessee walkers, 6 boer goats, and 2 miniature donkeys in the same field. Before I got the 2nd donkey I did have a problem. My 1st donkey would pick on the goats. But now the donkeys pick on each other.
    But it depends on the donkeys. Have they ever run with goats and horses. You will need to keep them seperate for at least a week. And when you do introduce be close. I have heard of donkeys killing whatever they are with. Mine seemed to be bored until she came along. And they wrestle all the time.

3. Chickenhatcher89

Mar 2, 2008
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    I believe these donkeys are full size not miniature. So sounds like there could be some issues between the donkeys and the goats, don't want any of my goats to be killed.

4. kycowgirlchick

Ask them why they are getting rid of them? And if you have someplace to keep them seperate. See how they do. If it looks to be bad sell them.

5. Chickenhatcher89

Mar 2, 2008
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    Yeah I need to find out why they are getting rid of them. Kinda suscpicious. I have a pretty large round pen, would that work to keep them in temporarily. Sounded like they might be pretty wild.

6. kycowgirlchick

Round pen should hold them. Mine has held some pretty wild horses.

7. Chickenhatcher89

Mar 2, 2008
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    Guess I should just go ahead and get them and try it out. Doesn't work out guess I can just sell them. Thanks for all the advice.

8. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    my donkey was raised with goats.. I had to s ell the goats (thought i was moving) Later on I ended up getting free goats and my donkey made friends with them and then one day out of the blue he broke 6 goats neck out of 7... Now he is not allowed near my goats

9. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    You could always fence off a ring around the pen for the donkeys to patrol. So they are not in the field but on the outer edges guarding an outer circle.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  10. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    When we got our first donkey, he was in with only goats and we had no problems (and he was still a jack at the time!). I do know that the way donkeys play is to grab on the big muscle on their necks... This can be detrimental to a goat. If you get 2 donkeys, they will stick together and play a lot - it's the cutest thing ever! Provide them with toys, and they'll provide you with entertainment!! We've had up to 6 donkeys in with our goats at a time, and never had any issues what so ever. Here's a pic of my boys playing [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by