Don't Break the Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stroisi, Aug 18, 2010.

1. stroisi

stroisi Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2010
    We got one egg from one of the 9 hens on Monday who are 21 weeks old. However, it had a crack. It was layed in one of the boxes, but the chickens keep kicking the shavings out of the box. Leaving a hard wood bottom. 2 Questions. What's the hold up? Once they start to lay, don't they lay one every day? #2, how do you keep the shavings in the box? Or should we use something else in the box for cushion:)

2. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    It takes a little while to get all the "kinks" worked out of their internal system when they start laying, so no, they don't lay every day once they start. Give them a few weeks and they should be, but keep in mind that they do take a day off every so many eggs.

As for the nest boxes, try hay instead. It's much harder to kick that out than shavings.

3. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    We took shelf lining, the rubber kind that comes in rolls and placed it under the straw double layer, no more cracked eggs.

4. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    I don't know anyone else who did this, but we used hardware cloth for the floor of the nest box (it is a large community box). It has a little give. I put a layer of straw over that (to keep the wood shavings from falling through), and topped it off with wood shavings. It looks great, but I can't say how it works. We are still waiting for eggs! 15 weeks now, hopefully, only a month to go! [​IMG]

Robin

5. stroisi

stroisi Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2010
    Thank you so much for the suggestions. One last question. Just got the 2nd egg. Is it ok to eat?

6. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:I use oat straw, cushions the eggs as long as you keep it at a decent depth. It is a lot harder for them to kick out and I have less problem in the winter with frozen eggs. Just stuff the box full and they will rearrange it to make a cozy nest.

7. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:Why not? Of course it is good to eat, isn't that what eggs are for?[​IMG] (I'm joshing with you--go ahead and eat it.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by