1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Don't clean eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by vfem, Oct 24, 2008.

1. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I was told not to wash the eggs I am trying to hatch. They are a bit dirty and I can't see them well when I'm candling them, they have mud spots all over them (duck eggs). Can I wash off the mud, is it safe or dare I not?

2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    How would mama duck get the mud off. The eggs have a protective layer on them. Wash the eggs removes this.

3. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    i would try not to use water much - try a moist towel and try to get it off- do not scrub the egg or put soap on it

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  4. austinhart123

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    .....duck eggs are notorious for smelling bad whn they are not fertile...so if u smell one that reeks and has gone rotten, throw it out

5. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Oh I wasn't planning on soap at all... I knew there was some kind of clear coating on eggs from mama. I just can't quite see anything while I'm candling them because of all the muck. Maybe a like a rung out wet paper towel with some water. I did read someone say something about misting them? Maybe mist them to loosen the mud?

Yeah I'm going to check them regularly... I just didn't realize I would be such a worry wort over this!!! It's like I'm pregnant all over again.... but no doctor to call everyday!!!! [​IMG]

6. austinhart123

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    Quote:try the rung out towel and not too much scrubbing trying not to remove the layer

7. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    The protective coating is called the "bloom".
    I think if I was going to do anything, to just take a cloth or paper towel (dry) and wipe off the worst of it if they are that bad. Otherwise I would leave them as they are. JMO.

8. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    these are how dirty they are... if you think its best to leave them, i will just leave them and do a smell test! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just know I'll be so bummed if I don't even get one duck. I've wanted ducks so badly for months now since the one's that were here are gone.

9. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    The duck eggs I had were filthy so I cleaned them off, probably more than I should have because the hatch was a disaster.[​IMG]
    If the "poo" is a little drier it should be fairly easy to wipe off most of it?(Sigh, its what I SHOULD have done. Live and learn I guess!)

10. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ok, learning from others... that is important. I'm sorry your hatch didn't go well. But I am learning from you, and I will just not touch the eggs.... they have a better chance if I don't!

I wish you a better hatch next time... but thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by