Don't Dismiss This Post!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cullenf27, Jun 17, 2011.

1. cullenf27

cullenf27 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Hi I am starting to build my coop and I am looking to save money and water. So here's what I plan on doing. I am going to put gutter's around my coop well really only the bottom slope of the roof. The gutter will flow into a 55 gallon drum. I am going to take the necessary precautions on keeping the water clean. Once this is setup I am going to create a nipple system to dispense the water to the chickens. And Voula (not sure if thats right but you get the point) I am successfully saving money and conserving water. Plus I don't have to make trips out to the water to refill it unless of course were in a drought. Hope you like and it helped

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I have gutters on each side of the barn that fill 4, 55 gallon barrels. It gives us plenty of water, except in the rainless summer. We have to drag about 200 feet of hose out to fill them about 2 or 3 times a year. I add 1/2 cup of bleach to a full barrel, & this keeps the algae from growing.

3. cullenf27

cullenf27 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Awesome I live in Florida and I am really worried about the droughts going on. I plan to have one for the chicken coop and one for the garden. Does the bleach affect the chickens at all?

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Never had a problem with the bleach water hurting the birds.

5. homesteadmomma

homesteadmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Parke Co. Indiana
    Nope bleach won't hurt, just make sure you add the right amount for the amount of water you put in there.

6. 4sillychickens

4sillychickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2011
    Western Washington
    Is there anything you can use instead of bleach? Has anyone ever tried Grapfruit seed extract?

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Is there anything you can use instead of bleach?

Vinegar will work​

8. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    And if it's Apple Cider Vinegar, it will benefit the chickens health too. [​IMG]

9. tclegg

tclegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Parkersburg
    Just don't use vinegar--apple cider or otherwise in a metal container of any kind it causes a chemical reaction....

10. 4sillychickens

4sillychickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2011
    Western Washington
    Quote:Vinegar will work

Any idea about how much to add per gallon?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by