Don't disturb her beauty rest!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by KristyHall, Feb 14, 2012.

1. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    It has been a pretty mild winter here. Normally my hens lay fairly well through the winter but they slow down during the coldest days. I went out to the coop the other day after the coldest night all year and found that after a week of no egg, there were nine, and all were frozen.

I hadn't checked for eggs that morning so it was my fault. I saw the eggs and commented to my birds "You know it's winter right?"

It was dark and the birds were dozing already. I gathered up the frozen eggs and thought I saw an egg sticking out from under one of my hens who likes to sleep in the nest. I reached in and pushed her aside with the back of my hand.

I awoke a demon.

She spun around latched onto the back of my hand, growling and clucking , and wouldn't let go. She shook her head and thrashed my hand like it was a snake.

I finally freed myself and the little feathered nightmare stalked out of her nest, hackles raised like a rooster and growled at me. the other birds woke up and were just staring at our stand off. I backed out of the coop with my bruised hand in tow, closed it up, and decided never to wake the little white hen again.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    If she went back to the nest she may be going broody. LOL

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I would say you have just experienced the attitude of a broody!

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

5. KristyHall

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    I don't think she's broody. She is mild tempered right now, running around with the others, and there is no egg in her nest. I think I just scared her awake.

I think Em has been sneaking in at night and giving my birds pointers.

She's evil you know. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  6. LOL

7. HCFarms96

HCFarms96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    That's hilarious! I never knew hens growled until a few days ago. I was out in the woods and the girls were all pecking around nearby. While watching them, I was breaking up a twig and throwing it on the ground. One of the hens, Solice, saw me throw a piece on the ground and ran over, thinking it was a treat. When she saw that it was just a twig, she bit at my foot, ran over to a tree, stood against it and looked at me with the most hostile expression, growling all the while! Those chickens are much to spoiled if they think that every time I throw something on the ground it's for them! [​IMG]

8. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    We had a Midget White turkey hen for a while that I named "The Dragon Queen." You'd sooner mess with a velociraptor than try to get eggs out from under her! My kids and wife flat out refused to cross her. I had to go get her eggs myself!

9. KristyHall

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    I've heard turkey's are vicious protectors of their nests.

There i a junkyard down the road and they had a guard turkey instead of a guard dog. It even looked like a junkyard turkey. It was old and grizzly, missing feathers and had a chipped beak.

It would make those grizzlied tough guys who pick through the junk for scrap run for their lives. I hated going to the junk yard. You never knew when that turkey would come running around some car to attack.

10. Orpingtons4U

Orpingtons4U Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    Central Virginia
    that Folks is why i use a stick to lift my hens LOL so i can get the eggs my hens is MEANNNNNNNN

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by