Don't eat the yellow ducks, er snow

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Parrotchick, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Parrotchick

Parrotchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Boonsboro MD
    [​IMG]

I would NEVER eat my birds, just wondering if they always had a yellow hue that I never noticed without a frame of reference. This is Midge and Sal "chilling" while I got the snow off the roof of their pen.

2. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Excellent photo!

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Great Picture & beautiful ducks.

Imp

4. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    Mine have a bit of a yellow hue here and there because right now the cheeky boogers are sneaking extra chops from the chicken treats LOL We don't get snow often and when we do it's in Feb or March. I hope we get some this year for the ducks to play in.
    Your photo is lovely!

Michelle

5. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    My 2 ducks have that yellow tinge too! i think it's because my 2 only have a "tub" to play in rather than an actual pond or creek. When we lived next to our creek, the ducks were white rather than having the tinge [​IMG] They were totally free range - would not use any type of enclosure - always either eating the grass in our front yard, or in the creek playing & bathing [​IMG]

6. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    white birds get that yellowish hue from eating corn... Or at least that's what i've read before in one of my ducky researches... Do you give them scratch or cracked corn? if so, that's probably why. [​IMG]

7. DuckMamaorBust

DuckMamaorBust Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    Westford, MA
    When I was studying art we had an assignment to do a painting that was white on white. The instructor set-up a still life where all of the objects were white. White vase, white bowl, white table cloth, anything white she could fine. The purpose was to train students to see subtle differences. When seeing all the whites together it highlighted the small differences. White with a tinge of pink, white with a tinge of blue, and in this case... a beautiful white duck tinged with yellow. It complements them very well. Beautiful picture!

8. Parrotchick

Parrotchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Boonsboro MD
    I do feed my ducks a little scratch in the morning; they don't eat much of it, just enough to let the chickens know who's really boss. They only have access to a baby pool, no ponds or creeks. The first few months of their life were spent on a tributary of the Chesapeake Bay, where they were "released" when the little Easter ducklings somebody got for their grandchildren got "too big." I heard about them through the grapevine and brought them to my home on the side of a mountain when they were about 10 weeks old. It took about two hours to catch little Midge, limboing in a kayak under the piers. Though Midge and Sal are both males, they have had a beautiful relationship with my female Pekin Pong, who was hiding behind another snow mound. Pong is actually less yellow than the boys.

I started puttering with this picture on Photoshop after I posted it here (duh!) I get the color balance right on the screen and then it's not the same on paper. No kidding about the variety of "whites" out there. I spent an hour picking out which white hue I wanted for my porch door.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by