Don't give up on a "special needs" chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by olefarmersdaughter, Jan 12, 2013.

1. olefarmersdaughter

olefarmersdaughter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Fredrick's story (hoping it's actually a Fredricka): I received a half dozen brown and green large and one bantam sized egg from a friend that she had bought from some lady on CL. She had red, brown, and black chickens. The lady wasn't sure of the breeds but that really didn't matter. Four of the eggs were fertile. Two very healthy robust chicks hatched on a Saturday. 48 hours later the bantam sized egg hatched. Poor little Fredrick......unable to stand.........laid flat on his back for 2 days in the incubator. Feeling sorry for the little guy, I mixed together egg, sugar and water and fed it to him with a syringe every couple of hours. I fashioned a foam brace to keep him upright for a long as he could tolerate. After a couple of days he could stand by himself for a few minutes and then would fall over onto his back again. I noticed that his toes were curled so I cut small cardboard squares and taped his toes spread out. After 5 days of this he was able to upright himself after he'd fall over. I decide to try to integrate him with the other two but they just terrorized him so I put a wire divider in the brooder and put a little stuffed bear with him. He could still be with the other two but protected. I couldn't get him to eat by himself but noticed that he would pick at the bears eyes so I moistened some chick feed and spread it over the bear's face and walla.......he started to eat "solids". Long story short. I was able to nurse Fred back from doom and put him with the other two. That was 5 weeks ago and now he is as almost a big as the other 2. I had my friend call the eggs seller and ask her what kind of bantams she had......her response was "I don't have any bantams"......still shrugging my shoulders. Fertile young pullet egg??? Anyway, put a lot of effort into this little guy but can't have roosters in town so I'm really hoping he is a she.
    [​IMG]

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
  3. olefarmersdaughter

olefarmersdaughter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Omaha, Nebraska
  4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by