Don't guess chickens like wind much

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by erinszoo, Nov 18, 2011.

1. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    Well, we've been getting 6 or 7 eggs a day from our 10 BR girls since they started laying but today we got 1. [​IMG] Not sure why other than it was extremely windy today. And the one we got was in a nest that they almost never lay in. Then they ate our turkey egg too. I sure hope it's not windy tomorrow.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    They do indeed hate wind. I have noted this on several occasions. Any other foul weather does not seem to disturb them, but throw a little wind at them and they all go off lay for the day. I wonder if that's a throw back from the days before domestication when they used to roost in trees?

Good luck.

3. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    mine hate wind also its been down to 15 degrees no prob but if the wind blows more then probably8-10 mph in the coup they go. Its just funny snow rain sleet they act like no big deal a gust of wind they run like crazy.

4. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    Quote:That's a thought. They sure didn't mind the 26 degree weather we've had already but our wind was up to 38 mph today.

5. MyShunshyn

MyShunshyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    Sperrassoville, OK
    I agree, the wind was horrible today and mine spent most of the day huddled in the coop or hunkered down in the run. Egg production was a little off too.

6. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ours don't seem to mind it. The wind has been bad lately with 20-30 mph winds and up to 50 mph gusts. Our chickens have been spending lots of time outside the coop. Only going inside to eat and lay (and roost, of course) or if I'm looking in the coop window they all run in there and look back out at me. Egg production has been about the same. We had a couple of 10-egg days but mostly 8 and 9 and that's what we've gotten on all the windy days.

7. CheerioLounge

CheerioLounge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    Out here in the desert we get some pretty strong winds. ie: steady 25-35 mph with gusts to 50 or more. My girls don't seem to be bothered by it. Maybe they have just become accustomed to it. They don't really have a choice...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by