Don't have chick feed!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PoultryGirly, Mar 20, 2013.

1. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Hi. I have 9 chicks that are about 2 and a half weeks old and I don't have chick starter for them. They ate the last of it last night and today, but I thought it was going to last them until tomorrow. I'll pick up some of their feed tomorrow evening, but for now, what should I feed my hungry babies? They have a Baby Cake in there with them, and I also have some chick grit if they need it, but I haven't given it to them yet. Any advice is much appreciated! Thank you!

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Scrambled eggs, bread that is toasted hard then crushed into dust and bits, oat meal is a particular favorite, creme of wheat, creme of rice, etc.

Then, get to the feed store tomorrow. LOL

1 person likes this.
  3. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    Thanks so much for the quick supply! So this will be enough food to last until tomorrow evening? Should I feed this with grit?

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    yes, it really depends on what you give them but go ahead and give them some grit. Not a ton, some will eat way more than they need.

5. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    I will give them scrambled eggs and toast dust. What will happen if they eat too much grit?

6. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    So I just fed them toast dust and scrambled eggs with some grit mixed in. Should this be okay?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by