Dont have egg candler!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LowLife, Feb 29, 2008.

1. LowLife

LowLife Cooped Up

Feb 29, 2008
    My hen laid some thin shelled eggs and i want to candle them to see if there any good but i dont have an egg candler, is there something else i can use like a flashlight?

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Lots of people use flashlights.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    What are you looking to see in there?

4. LowLife

LowLife Cooped Up

Feb 29, 2008
    Uhm i dont know maybe some veins i guess?Ill go buy a flashlight tomorrow, these are some very valuable eggs hope theyre ok.

5. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    I use a mini-Mag flashlight which works very well as a candler.

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:You're not going to see anything unless you've had them in the incubator a few days at least.

7. LowLife

LowLife Cooped Up

Feb 29, 2008
    theyve been under the hen for 9 days.Anyone know how thin shells affect the embryo development?

8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Get yourself a small mag flashlight from wal-mart or some such store...it works really well in a dark room...

Some people will tell you they have good luck with thin shells some will tell you they don't...just try is all I can add....

9. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Not sure how well the embryos would develop - but if the hen has been on them for 9 days already and hasn't broken them - I don't think you need to worry about the thin shell!

I use a spot light to candle with... I put some dark fabric over the top and a measuring cup to keep the egg high enough off the top of the light so it doens't get HOT....

10. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    I know this is weird but I got a box top off of the Christmas fruit that we got and the air holes are just the right size for standard eggs to sit in without falling thru.I just stick a big flashlight oon the floor and sit the box top over it and instant candler.You can actually do 3 at the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by