Don't know anything about ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mmilana10, Apr 10, 2012.

1. mmilana10

mmilana10 New Egg

Apr 10, 2012
    Just looking for some general advice. My husband got some ducklings for the kids for Easter. I don't know how old they are or anything about how to take care of a duck. I don't know if they need a heat lamp at all. We have one on, it's about 5 feat off the ground and the duck are inside my house. the heat lamp was for the 3 chicks we had but they all died and I don't know why. I've got the food and water. I change the water a couple times a day and am constantly picking up poops. I've put them in a tub of water twice so far so they can play and get the poop rinsed off. Is there anything else I should be doing for them?

2. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    Congrats on your new babies [​IMG]

Yes, they will need a lamp; at this stage they do not *need* to go into water for a swim - if they have baby feathers their bodies do not produce the necessary oils yet for water play.

Keep them warm (with the lamp) keep them fed and watered and enjoy your ducklings! They will grow very fast and you only have a few weeks before you need to have their outside home ready, secure and waiting [​IMG]

3. DuckLover3

DuckLover3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    Marlborough, CT
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by