1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Don't know if my duck egg is alive. HELP!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by angie369, Aug 25, 2016.

1. angie369

angie369 New Egg

Aug 25, 2016
    Hello my name is angie, I'm new a all this incubation and hatching an egg information. So i've been incubating a duck egg for 22 days now and it looks fuller and seems to be heavier than before. Although thats the case, I am not sure if its alive or not, it has this new blue spot on the top of the tip of the egg, on the opposite side of the air sack, and has started to turn like a lightish blue color around the blue dot. Im worried I wanna know if it died or is still alive. can someone help? I've got a few pictures I'm going to post to see if it helps you guys tell and help me out!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You may want to post on the "duck thread," for expert opinions. I don't know anything about ducks. I would worry about the color of the egg. You said it is darkening at one end. That may indicate that it is rotting from the inside.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. I'll PM a duck pal and hope that she has not yet fallen asleep.

CT

4. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Looks like it has developed well and air cell looks good for day 22... I've seen some odd discolorations show up on developing duck eggs, doesn't mean it has died... and if it were rotting or bacteria has gotten theough the shell, a simple sniff will tell you that... no mistaking the smell of a bad egg for sure...

Can you see any movement when you candle? That would be the best indicator if it's still alive and hasn't quit... you can give a tap or 2 on the shell will your fingernail to rouse it... also, if you spin it back and forth gently, any sloshing movements then would be an indication of quitting...

:fl you get a cute little 'ling in a week! :)

5. angie369

angie369 New Egg

Aug 25, 2016
    Thanks! It smells like when I first got it so I'm guessing the smell is fine, it's a funny smell but not bad, it's not moving though [​IMG] There's no sloshing sound either so thats good!

6. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Then it smells like an egg, lol... trust me, you can smell a bad egg without getting your nose even close to it... :sick

Might be sleeping, no worries yet... marking the air cell might help, it should tilt drastically when it starts to get into position to hatch and you can see the difference better if you trace the edge of the air cell now... :)

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas

X2! Good luck and happy hatching! :welcome

8. angie369

angie369 New Egg

Aug 25, 2016
    Ok thank you!! :) I'll keep you guys updated

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by