1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Don't know if my pullets are large enough to add in with my rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by smallflock3, Nov 8, 2010.

1. smallflock3

smallflock3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2009
    I have some beautiful Standard Partridge Cochin pullets that are 5 months old. They have an 18 month old Standard Partridge Cochin rooster waiting for them to be introduced to. He weighs 8 pounds and is very good natured. My only worries is that the pullets aren't big enough yet. They just seem so much smaller when compared to him. Maybe it's a common sense thing but I don't know. Does anyone have any Standard Cochin flocks that could shed some light on this? I don't want to do the wrong thing! Should I weigh the pullets?

2. gogfan

gogfan New Egg

Nov 8, 2010
    well, I babysitted with some of my friends chickens and she had some of those type of chickens. the hens were a year old, weighed about 6 pounds. If anything the time you should start introudusing the rooster will be any time a year and older.(i know this becuase of research of them) and that goes for any type of chicken.... if any one wanted to know.

hope this helped-
    gogfan

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    At 5 months old they are ready to be integrated. There is going to be a size disparity between hens and roos anyways, meaning the hens will never be as big as the roo. At 5 months these pullets are pretty close to be full sized skeletally. They will not reach their full weight until they are well over a year old, closer to 2 y.o. They are mature enough to be integrated with a roo. Keep an eye on things and if they appear to be getting beaten up then separate them, but I don't foresee a problem. I start pullet integrations at 12 weeks, and usually have them fully integrated by 16 weeks.

Good luck.

4. smallflock3

smallflock3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2009
    Thanks for the help,
    I guess it's just the Cochin Rooster's size that scared me. He's just a big baby but I'll keep my eye on him. He'll be real happy to have company.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by