dont know what breed I have

novakane

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 28, 2014
Richmond,Indiana
I not sure what breed or any bout my chicken I think my rooster is a orpington by pics I seen but not sure on the hen info on both would be vary helpfully as im new to this thank you ,#
Noah Beaty urban guerilla farming

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. The bird in your picture is definitely a Rhode Island Red, not a Buff Orpington. Feel free to ask if you have any more questions. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

So the hen hen is RIR and I rigth the rooster is a orpington ok next question im live in Indiana what should I do in winter months
Depending on how cold it gets, straw bales, heat lamps, (positioned high above the ground) extra bedding and insulation all help with warmth.

So the hen hen is RIR and I rigth the rooster is a orpington ok next question im live in Indiana what should I do in winter months

Rhode Island Reds are a cold hardy breed, so you won't have to worry too much. Just make certain that the coop is well insulated, draft free, and dry (no leaks or moisture seeping through or blowing into the coop). Moisture is a more critical problem than temperature. I've raised Black Australorps where the winter temperature reached -30 F, and with a dry, draft free coop, they did just fine.

Back
Top Bottom