Don't know what breed my baby chick is...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by boricua73, Oct 28, 2011.

1. boricua73

boricua73 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2011
    Gardnerville, NV
    We got some eggs from a local lady in town for a school project my daughter is doing and out of seven eggs only one hatched, but we can't seem to figure out what breed it is. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated [​IMG] Luckily we have two ducklings to keep it company and we believe he/she's starting to believe its a duck too, LOL.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    Hard to say with any certainty unless you have a list of breeds it COULD be.... feathers look wheatenish possibly penciled... but that is only a color. The down color is more like a Welsummer... so with these two pictures I would lean towards something like a Welsummer. Can't make out a comb... what kind does it have? It's head looks chunky... so I would also lean towards saying it will be a bigger breed. Heavy.

Hope this helps a tad... try scanning feathersite.com and get some ideas. Warning, though... you might find yourself with a long list of breeds you want next. LOL!

3. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    The pattern of the feathers coming in now are a partridge or penciled pattern. I would guess Welsummer or partridge Plymouth Rock, with those bright yellow legs. Do you know what color egg it hatched out of? (just brown, or if it was speckled?)

4. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Perhaps with the puffy cheeks it is an EE/EE mix

5. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    If I am remembering right, my EE looked like that but with heavier eyeliner..... Cute little thing!

6. boricua73

Oct 15, 2011
    Gardnerville, NV
    Thank You [​IMG] I went through the breed index here for all brown egg layers and the Welsummer was the closest I came up with that the baby chick looked like at the moment, but I wanted second opinions [​IMG] I tried getting in touch with the lady that sold us the eggs as well, but haven't had much luck. Thanks again [​IMG]

7. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree that the coloring may resemble a we summer, but it is too heavy looking as they are typically smaller in size than what yours appears to be. If it is a welsummer, it's most likely a cross [​IMG]

Lots of guessing without seeing the chick in person, but fun anyway [​IMG]

Very cute BTW!

8. waterchicken

waterchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    It looks familiar, like one of the chicks we hatched this year, I can safely say ours are a mix of some unknown breed [​IMG] but as for yours, I think I'll agree with Nottingham. [​IMG]

9. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Cute chick. It looks like a welsummer.

10. boricua73

Oct 15, 2011
    Gardnerville, NV
    Thank you everyone.....the baby is only two weeks old so I guess I'll know for sure once he/she starts getting bigger [​IMG] I was just outside with them so I attached a picture of the baby with the ducklings [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by