Don't know what I,m doing!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by turningchicken, Jul 20, 2010.

1. turningchicken

turningchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    Today is day 20 with 6 eggs...1 serama 2 blue silkie and 3 splash cochin. Have kept temp. and humidity as suggested in the things I have read in this forum. Noticed the serama rocking a little last evening...nothing today. What do I do? I want these to hatch so badly. I didn't have any survivors in my first try at this.

2. CrazyChickieMama

CrazyChickieMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    Bolton, NC
    [​IMG] just keep sitting on your hands and waiting!!! I always seem to panic on the last few days, and can't really give you much advice, but to be patient and wait! Hopefully all will be well!

3. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Literally SIT on your hands..... At this point in time you just wait and watch..Period.. Opening the bator can kill them as the temp and or humidity can go to high or to low..

4. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    If your temp & humidity is right...do nothing. The egg rocking is the chick getting into position for hatching. As hard as it is, now you just wait. Good luck![​IMG]

5. turningchicken

Jun 8, 2010
    I understand the "sittin' on your hands part" because I want to do something to help sooooo bad. I do know they were all alive and kickin' the night of the 17th day when I stopped turning and opening the bator. I guess I'm like most expectant moms. Sure does help to read these posts. I'm no crazier than any other chicken lover!!!

6. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    If you're very, very quiet and in a very, very quiet room, you MAY be able to hear them tapping on the inside of the egg. When mine do this, it doesn't rock the egg any, but you can hear it tap tapping away.

7. turningchicken

Jun 8, 2010
    With the temp and humidity...what is too high and too low and how long for each to be dangerous?

8. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    I would say anything below 97 degrees is too low and anything above 102 is too high. I have experienced and heard many stories of temperature spikes and some chicks have survived temps as high as 110 for a brief (less than an hour) time. I have also heard stories of power outages taking temps below 90 and having chicks survive.

Although, if the temp varies from 99.5-100 degrees and the humidity varies from about 35-45%, you're at a higher risk of losing chicks. Maybe not ALL of them, maybe you wouldn't lost ANY of them, but the chances increase for loss with variation.

9. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    What are your temp & humidity readings now?? No sense in worrying about anything else if you have them right.[​IMG]

10. turningchicken

Jun 8, 2010
    My temp is staying between 100 and 101.5 mainly at 101 and humidity is staying aroung 72. Can't get it higher..might be the thing...Everything has been going on schedule thus far. Just saw a blue silkie give a small rock. Serama hasn't rocked anymore. The advise is great and appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by