Don't know what sex or breed this bantam chick is

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by brandoncakes, Jun 28, 2011.

1. brandoncakes

brandoncakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Kailua, HI
    Aloha everyone! I bought a baby bantam chick today from our local pet store, Ko`olau Pets. The employees there had no idea what breed it was, because they kept saying the breed was "Bantam." It has a single comb, 4 toes, feathered legs, and is very tame! I chirps so loud when it's in its cage, and always wants to come out and be held. Out of all the chicks in the case they were in, this was the only one with buff feathering. The other 3 chicks were gray, black, and white(same exact markings). The markings make it hard for me to tell what breed they could be. It looks like it's about 4-5 weeks old, hopefully someone can make out what he or she is.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I think it is a bantam cochin but I dont know what color it is. I dont know the sex either. I think it is too young to tell that.

3. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    She's so cute! (guess on the "she") She's cheeping because she misses the other chicks. Chickens are social creatures, they don't like to be alone. You should probably get another one to keep her company. I'm not saying you can't raise her alone, but they just like to be with others.

It does look like a Cochin. The color is interesting. It's not a standard color, so she's probably a mix of two colors of Cochin, if that makes sense.

4. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    When I saw this chick, I instantly thought it looked just like my d'uccles! Color? I have no idea, sorry.

5. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    Gold laced Cochin maybe?

6. Hegatha

Hegatha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Washington
    It looks to be a pullet so far couple more weeks and youll know for sure. Color im stumped on?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  7. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    batam cochin and the colors looks to be MILLE FLURE or CALICO

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  8. brandoncakes

Aug 25, 2010
    Kailua, HI
    Thanks so much everyone! I was guessing Cochin or d'Uccle also. We might go down and get another..she does look very lonely. Last night we had to take her out of the cage and hold her to make her fall asleep. We had to wrap her in a flour sack towel and put her in the cage in order for us to get some sleep! Thanks so much for all your guesses!! I will post more photos as she ages.

9. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    millie fleur d'uucle or partidge cochin, leaning more towards the millie though. I adore the millies, i wish I had more!

10. brandoncakes

Aug 25, 2010
    Kailua, HI
    The only thing I thought was weird, was all the other chicks looked exactly like this one but were black and white. Same exact markings, but no buff in the feathering. That's what confused me. That's what kinda made me steer clear of the d'Uccle guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by