Don't know what to do with my RooRoo-mean but a GREAT roo!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mama2B&D&...Chickens, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Mama2B&D&...Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    We've had him since a baby and long story short-he's an austrolorp...bought bc i THOUGHT they were usually a nice gentle breed...and BOY is he PRETTY but he's MEAN! MEAN MEAN MEAN! He's ok with me but NOONE else...when my husbands workng in the yard i keep him in the other yard and then he gets po'd b/c he's not with his "girls" and reaks HAVIC when I put him back with them...can't trust him around anyone but me...but he's SUCH a good Roo! Keeps great watch on them...feeds them...but he is rough.

I don't know what to do [​IMG] It's killing me...rehome him...teach our little one's where our "food" comes from...ok, slightly joking...i dont know if i could do "it".

2. stuckinthecity

stuckinthecity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    I can put up with a mean roo if he keeps my (and his) girls safe. My rooster has flogged me a few times, but he earns his keep by keeping all the hens and chicks safe.

3. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  4. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Mama2B&D&...Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    Thanks so much for the advice! Off to read that article...wish it was an EASY decision!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by