Don't know what to do

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by oldchicklady, Nov 8, 2007.

1. oldchicklady

oldchicklady New Egg

Nov 8, 2007
    My Aunt has hatched out some baby Seabrites for me and I have to pick them up today but I do not have a setting hen or an incubator. The chick are 2-3 days old. Does anyone have an ID on how to make some kind of warmer for them. I tried a plastic pet carrier (for dogs) with a light bulb and hay but it didn't seem to get warm enough.

2. cockadoodlemom

cockadoodlemom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Texas
  3. k625

k625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    I got my babies at 1 week old, but used a plastic rubbermaid container and added one of those silver bowl/dish looking things that you stick the light bulb in. It took me an hour or so to figure out the right watts on the bulb, but I think a 75 did the trick. When it was colder in the room, I just draped a towel over the side without the light bulb and it helped to keep the heat in.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I have used large cardboard boxes for day olds...get a heat lamp at your feedstore and place a 100 watt bulb in it if they are to be kept in the house..clamp it to something secure but will fit over the box..no need for a red heat lamp if they are kept indoors..use a thermometer for your readings....just make sure your temp reads around 95 for the first week or so and then it drops 5 degrees there after each week...

a setting may not take them anyway and an incubator will do you no good...

5. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Make sure when you use a heat lamp they have room to move away from it. That way if they get to warm they can move off. [​IMG]

6. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    I used a large guinea pig cage with a 100 watt heat light over it. with wood shavings. They need plenty of water and starter mash.[​IMG]

7. oldchicklady

oldchicklady New Egg

Nov 8, 2007
    Quote:Thanks so much for the response!
    This is what I ended up doing.(with my dads help) I had an old cage wrap plastic garbage bags around, it's up off the ground. I put a 60 watt light bulb inside a glass flower vase. And so far every little chick except 1 looks ok. we'll see in the morning.[​IMG]

8. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Just FYI - you can get the brooder lamp base at Lowes or other home improvement store also - look on the electrical aisle where they have the light sockets and work light setups.

They also carry the red brooder lights at my Lowe's also if that's more convienient than the feed store, or they are out of stock.

9. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Try putting cardboard taped around the lower part of your cage...they will peck and eat your plastic garbage bags if they can .....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by