don't know what to do...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by slystr, Apr 2, 2007.

1. slystr

slystr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Dallas TX
    here is my weather for the next 10 days. http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/allergies/tenday/75228?from=36hr_fcst10DayLink_allergies
    I am in a quandry about putting my 4 week old chicks into the hoop coop I've made. Currently they are in an attached but unheated garage in a 50 gal rubbermaid container. The temp gets down to the low to mid 60's at night. they are picking at each other I think because they are getting crowded. I'd like to get them into the coop to give them more room but I don't want to hurt them because of the cold. I can't get a bigger container to put them in like a fridge box cause it won't fit in my car. Here is my coop set up.
    [​IMG]
    WHat would some of you more experienced folks do?

2. Rooster01

Rooster01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
    Try to wait a week or two longer. 4 weeks old chicks can't take 50F weather. Maybe put them in the coop during the day, and take them back inside at night.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  3. slystr

Mar 11, 2007
    Dallas TX
    thanks Rooster01!

4. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    get another 50 gal container and split them up. that's what i do when i get overcrowding but the weather is still cold.

5. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

I, too, think it's still too cold for them to be out in their new coop just yet. They will be thrilled to be out there in another week or two though!

Though I'd suggest cutting off the ends of the zip-ties, at best they'll just pick at them, at worst they'll get poked or scratched by them when they fly around and play. Just a thought, I tend to be a bit paranoid when it comes to my chicks. [​IMG]

6. slystr

Mar 11, 2007
    Dallas TX
    thanks! I'd forgotten all about the zip ties on the inside!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by