don't know what to do?

unix_micki

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 12, 2011
I bought 4 sussex and 3 black orphingtons in July, supposed to be 4-5 months old then, The day we got them they all laid and now only one of the black orphingtons lay, I am about to cull the other 6 that are not laying as I cannot afford to feed what isn't laying. The get enough light, have enough food, free range during the day, enough nesting boxes, special treats, I just don't know what to do, I hate to put down young birds but if they aren't laying what am I to do??

All of my other birds are laying and I have 17 red stars that will lay in the next few weeks.

Help?!?!

I bought 4 sussex and 3 black orphingtons in July, supposed to be 4-5 months old then, The day we got them they all laid and now only one of the black orphingtons lay, I am about to cull the other 6 that are not laying as I cannot afford to feed what isn't laying. The get enough light, have enough food, free range during the day, enough nesting boxes, special treats, I just don't know what to do, I hate to put down young birds but if they aren't laying what am I to do??

All of my other birds are laying and I have 17 red stars that will lay in the next few weeks.

Help?!?!
I would give them some time. My Leghorns all stopped laying for about 10 days or a little longer and now they are laying again. Something was going on and now it is resolved itself. I didn't do anything different for them. If your birds were hatch this year they have a lot of laying ahead of them. If you must cull then eating them would possibly make you feel better that way they are not wasted. That's just me though.

But I have had them for over 4 months now and still not laying?? wish they could tell me what is going on?

Some chickens go through a long molt. They will more than likely lay in the spring. I would just wait it out and try to be patient. Good luck! =)

from what i have been told under age 1 there still working there egg issues out but by age 1 they will be pros at it I personly would give them more time but everyone is diffrent but I would say if there all the same age and doing it then its not a defective chicken there is more going on.

I thought about a hidden nest....we are in the process of building a new coop so they will only free range in the afternoon.

from what i have been told under age 1 there still working there egg issues out but by age 1 they will be pros at it I personly would give them more time but everyone is diffrent but I would say if there all the same age and doing it then its not a defective chicken there is more going on.
I just wish I knew what was going on,,,,they are so nice/loving and beautiful.....

Back
Top Bottom