Don't know whats wrong with my hen.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by animalwild, Jan 29, 2015.

1. animalwild

animalwild Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2015
    I was out in my coop on Sunday a chicken turned towards me and her one eye is half closed and blue. Then when I was out there today it was spreading and starting to turn gray. I don't know whats happening to her and I'm worried. Normally all of my chickens get along but she is starting to shy away when ever another chicken comes up to her. What is wrong. I just hope she isn't sick that would be horrible.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Could you post a picture of the eye? She could be getting pecked or bullied by the other chickens. You may want to separate her and bring her inside overnight. Look for eye swelling, eye or nasal discharge, bubbles or foam in an eye, or congested breathing. Is she eating and drinking?

3. animalwild

Jan 29, 2015
    She is eating and drinking I don't know how she has been for the past few days for I have been gone, but I have noticed that some of the other chickens haven been pecking at her but I just thought it was out of curiosity of why her eye was funky looking. I will try to get a picture on. Her eye has also started to trun gray where it was blue.

4. animalwild

Jan 29, 2015
    Ok, so I got to look at her today and how you asked if she had any bubbles in the eye it kinda looks like she does. Like the eyelid in the front kinda bubbles up then covers half of the eye. I'm still working on photos I just don't know how to get them on here. [​IMG]

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds a little bit like Mareks disease when you say the blue iris is turning gray. Bubbles or foam in the eye can be mycoplasma gallisepticum or MG, or can be due to a peck wound that causes swelling. Other chickens may peck at a sick or weak chicken. It may be good to isolate her, bring her inside in a crate, and watch her for a couple of days. Mareks disease causes a decreased white blood cell count which can cause them to be susceptible to common infections. Mareks cannot be diagnosed without a blood test (PCR test) or a necropsy after a chicken has died. It may not be Mareks at all, so don't take this as a diagnosis. A picture of the eye may be helpful.

6. animalwild

Jan 29, 2015
    Do you know how to get pictures on here I could get you one if I knew how. Is mareks disease deadly? My chicken has had for 8 days now. My mom said something about flushing the eye that it just had dirt in it.

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    To post a picture you need to click on the box that looks like mountains with a moon in the background in the second row of icons in "reply." Mareks disease cznbe cfatal to a certain amount of chickens in a flock, but there are many diseases that can look like Mareks, sucj as a vitamin deficiency, poisoning from lead snot in the ground orpoison that has been swallowed, moldy feed, and other problems.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  8. animalwild

Jan 29, 2015
    ok, I have clicked the picture button, but what do you do for the URLS image thing.

9. animalwild

Jan 29, 2015
    It's really funny yesterday my mom did cures for me and said my chicken was fine. Like no funky eye thing and when I went done today I didn't see a chicken with it either. So what's going on here?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by