Don't know what's wrong

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tillyschick, Oct 1, 2016.

1. tillyschick

tillyschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2016
    So about 2-3 weeks ago I posted how one of my hens hurt her leg. It was fine in 2 days and she was acting back to normal except she wasn't laying eggs. Now 3 weeks later and still no eggs. Well maybe one but I'm still not sure that was hers. Today she just doesn't seem herself. She is moving kinda slow and just doesn't seem right. I'm so worried because I'm leaving for a week and my neighbor is watching the chickens so I won't be here to keep a close eye on her. Are there some things I should check for before I leave? Could not laying eggs be hurting her?

2. Jenna14Chicken

Jenna14Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    OH.
    She could be egg bound, I would do some research and wouldn't leave until you no she is ok. If your neighbor doesn't know a lot about them I wouldn't leave your bird with her-him without sure she is ok.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Check inside her vent with a finger inserted 1-2 inches to check for a stuck egg. Give her some electrolytes (such as SaveAChick) in her water. A calcium tabet or A Tums dissolved in a little water and added to some yogurt or chopped egg can help if egg bound. She may have injured herself or has become ill. Keep her in a crate with food and water to watch what she is eating, drinking, and how her droppings look. Offer some egg or tuna, in addition to her feed.

4. tillyschick

tillyschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2016
    I checked last night and no egg was stuck. I let them out to free range and she was perfectly fine. I threw some treats into the yarn and she ran happily after them. I got up with them this morning and watched her for awhile. She was poopin and eating fine. I did up her calcium just in case. I still don't know why she isn't laying again but I'm glad to see her acting like herself! My next door neighbors also has chickens and has had them for years so at least I have her to ask questions to and check on them if my other neighbors sees something wrong.

5. Jenna14Chicken

Jenna14Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    OH.
    Hope she's ok! :/ good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by