Dont know whats wrong

Oolala

Songster
Jun 29, 2017
France
Can anyone tell me if you can give treatment for cocci and antibiotic at the same time. Blodwyn has not eaten or drank much for two days and is just sitting or standing hunched up and not well at all. I have checked her crop and that seems fine, also checked to see if egg bound and all looks good there too. Her droppings are watery with a lot of white in them and she has been laying unformed eggs lately, I have found a few broken in the coop no shell on them where she sleeps. Also the other week a mixture of poo, egg and congeled blood. She is still young and is just over a year old. She eats any and everything in the garden she finds.

First of all, you can give antibiotics and amprolium at the same time. Amprolium is the most common treatment for coccidiosis. Cocci is not the cause of coccidiosis. The cause is coccidia a protozoa. Cocci is any spherical bacterium.

Now lets dig into the issues. A one year old bird, if it has been on the same property for a significant length of time would have become resistant to the species of coccidia that are present on that property long ago. So the problem isn't likely to be coccidiosis.
What bacterial infection does the bird have that the antibiotic is intended to treat?

Her droppings are watery with a lot of white in them and she has been laying unformed eggs lately, I have found a few broken in the coop no shell on them where she sleeps. Also the other week a mixture of poo, egg and congeled blood. She is still young and is just over a year old. She eats any and everything in the garden she finds.
Eating anything in the garden she finds is not an appropriate diet for a laying hen. This will lead to malnutrition which can make her susceptible for diseases and issues related to deficiencies.

Laying unformed eggs without shell can have different reasons:
  • Lack of proper calcium supplement
  • Lack of Vitamin D3 or natural sunlight.
  • Virus infections such as IB Infectious Bronchitis or EDS Egg Drop Syndrom
  • Deformity/abnormity of the reproductive tract
  • Dysfunctional shell gland.
These are just a few.

The blood you noticed might stem from a ruptured blood vessel or an injury from broken egg shell in the oviduct.

First of all, you can give antibiotics and amprolium at the same time. Amprolium is the most common treatment for coccidiosis. Cocci is not the cause of coccidiosis. The cause is coccidia a protozoa. Cocci is any spherical bacterium.

Now lets dig into the issues. A one year old bird, if it has been on the same property for a significant length of time would have become resistant to the species of coccidia that are present on that property long ago. So the problem isn't likely to be coccidiosis.
What bacterial infection does the bird have that the antibiotic is intended to treat?
Thanks for your reply. Because of the blood I saw I was just wondering if she may have some sort of infection internally although that was at least a week ago. Until two days ago she was happily roaming the garden, sneaking in The house for the cat food and had a great appetite. Now there is one thing that worrys me is they know where my cat does her toilet and they eat the poo, although the others do too and they are fine. The other day I think she ate a bit of black plastice thread where I was working, its a weed control matting that had disintegrated but that nearly a week ago. I am baffled. She is in a dog crate now and has been eating some cat food and drinking a little but she just stands in the same position, she doesnt even sit down

Eating anything in the garden she finds is not an appropriate diet for a laying hen. This will lead to malnutrition which can make her susceptible for diseases and issues related to deficiencies.

Laying unformed eggs without shell can have different reasons:
  • Lack of proper calcium supplement
  • Lack of Vitamin D3 or natural sunlight.
  • Virus infections such as IB Infectious Bronchitis or EDS Egg Drop Syndrom
  • Deformity/abnormity of the reproductive tract
  • Dysfunctional shell gland.
These are just a few.

The blood you noticed might stem from a ruptured blood vessel or an injury from broken egg shell in the oviduct.
All my girls are free roaming but they also get layers pellets and mixed grain every day too, plus treats although I have stopped these for a few days, normally she is first in and eats as much as she can before the others but she has shown no interest in The mealworms or anything else. She did have a little yogurt this morning and has had a little cat food. I also gave her a few garden worms yesterday which she ate but not as fast as she normally would.

All my girls are free roaming but they also get layers pellets and mixed grain every day too, plus treats although I have stopped these for a few days, normally she is first in and eats as much as she can before the others but she has shown no interest in The mealworms or anything else. She did have a little yogurt this morning and has had a little cat food. I also gave her a few garden worms yesterday which she ate but not as fast as she normally would.
Daisy playing nurse maid, they are always together

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    744.3 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom