Don't know whether to do chickens or ducks! HELP!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sadi5678, Oct 21, 2013.

1. sadi5678

sadi5678 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2013
    Hi I am doing a science project on incubating and hatching eggs. I was going to do chickens, but I am not sure that I would be able to keep all of them because I live in an area with very close neighbors and I hear they are very noisy and messy. Now I am thinking maybe I should do ducks because I hear they are quieter but I would still probably not be able to keep all of them and I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

2. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Ducks are waaay messier than chickens. Chickens will make some noise, especially roosters and hens have an 'egg song" when they lay, but nothing really severe. I would suggest rehoming any roosters before they get to crowing age.

Have you considered quail? Coturnix quail roosters are quieter than chicken roosters, and the hens make very little, not loud noise. They require considerably less space to keep them and are actually fairly easy to hatch.

3. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I second quail.

4. sadi5678

sadi5678 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2013
    How's the temperament and noise level?

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Drakes are quiet but female ducks can be quite loud. I've never personally kept quail but they might be a good alternative for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by