Don't know who is alpha roo?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CA Bean, Jan 17, 2009.

1. CA Bean

CA Bean Chillin' With My Peeps

So I was pretty certain alpha roo was my EE Mr. Prince Rue since he has been with his girls since day old and he was first to crow and crows while we around etc. But yesterday was the 1st day 1 of our 16 girls started laying an egg. Things started changing. I have 3 roos. 1 being EE, and 2 are lt Brahmas. This morning I saw Big daddy ( light Brahma) trying to mate another girl ( which was screaming cuz only 5 months) and Mr. Prince Rue ran over and disrupted them. Well this afternoon Mr. PR was trying to mate another girl and it was screaming too and Big Daddy came over and disrupted them? I also think Big Daddy is starting to crow a in early morning too since I hear a diff lower crow, but I never heard him during the day or when I am around? Also noticed Big D had a a bloody spot on his waddle. Is this gonna turn ugly? Can they live in harmony after figuring it out? Will they figure it out? Sorry long post..

2. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    First of all, I have to say I love that photo you're using with those beautiful golden California hills dotted with the dark green oak trees. Is that near your home? Where in central Calif are you? My husband is from Santa Barbara and I've enjoyed my visits & travels through your state.

As to your flock, am I correct in figuring you have 16 hens, 2 bantam roos & 1 EE roo? That may be too few hens for 3 roos of any size, the usual ratio is 1:10.

Another factor is how much room they have, if they're all confined to a pen or if they have room to range around your place. I have about 65 hens, 3 large roos, 2 medium roos, and 3 bantam roos. They have a few roomy coops for sleeping and the whole yard for ranging during the day. They all seem to have come to an agreement as to where they will spend their days, which hens they will hang out with, who they can intimidate & who they need to respect. Occasionally there will be a tussle, some reorganization of the pecking order, but for the most part they all get along.

Things may calm down when more of your hens mature & become more agreeable about mating. Then they'll submit without squawking and the roos can mate quickly & quietly without drawing so much attention from the other roos.

Just keep watching your flock, make sure no one is getting too badly hurt (a little pecking & spurring is to be expected), you might just have to indulge yourself & your roos with a few more hens. Have a Plan B for your roos in case one of them gets really aggressive, either towards his flockmates or towards humans. There are very many mannerly roos, don't waste too much time or energy with ones that are bullies.

3. CA Bean

CA Bean Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi there! We are on the Monterey Penninsula but that pic was taken a tad more inland in the dry summer time. It was beautiful and soo golden.
    Anyway, thanks for your advice...yes you are right we have a total of 19 chickens 3 being roosters. 2 are Brahmas and 1 an EE. We will probably only keep 2 Roos for the future and yes I do want to add some more pullets too this yr. I think we have plenty of space - 400sft of run and a good size coop which they are only cooped up at night. ( it never gets too cold to not let them out)....wonder why they tend to both interupt eachother when trying to mate..Is Big Daddy competing for dominancy too? That is typically not suppose to happen right? TIA

4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Quote:Oh, you & your flock live in some of my favorite parts of Calif! I love the drive along PCH, up through Big Sur, those breathtaking views from the cliffs! Last time we were there we took the boys to see the elephant seals where they gather on the beach near Hurst Castle.

I think your roos just do not have enough to occupy their time & attention, and when they hear a hen squawking while mating they hope to get in on the action. Chicken sex is usually more quick & less noisy, soon they'll be able to get it done without causing such a commotion. I don't think they interrupt each other to reorder their heirarchy, I think they're just opportunists.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by