Don't laugh... I'm just stupid!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Iowa Roo Mom, May 17, 2009.

1. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    I need to know the best way to look inside my roo's beak without hurting him. I try to hold his neck and open it, but he pulls his head right outta my hands! Is there a "best place" to hold? I certianly don't want to break his neck...

He's been having a watery discharge from his nose, and I just wanted to check for lesions or other problems.

[​IMG] I know, I know... how stupid! [​IMG]

ETA: He's almost one year old

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  2. okiron

okiron Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Show him a picture of a really attractive hen. Make his beak drop? [​IMG]

3. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    What we do is this:
    Take said roo, hold him on his back and cover his eyes with a cloth, it will make him in a sleep like state. Keep his eyes covered and you can do as you please with him! Hope this helps!

4. vicschics

vicschics Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    Kentland, Indiana
    Iowa Roo Mom~That was not stupid!!!! That was a great question and I'm betting that a lot of people will learn from it...I have not a clue how to check something like that so I"m quite sure that I myself will learn from the BYC'ers who have had experience with this sort of thing since you asked.

Just wanted to get after ya![​IMG] We newbies do feel dumb sometimes but like kids that's the way they learn...I'm sure that all of the verteran chicken people were once themselves new to all of this...

okiron~[​IMG] Thanks for the laugh I needed that.

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  5. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Well I hold them from the head (the body too) and I just opened them slowly and they will let me =]

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Gently tug on the wattles. Presto! The beak automatically opens.

7. Quote:Yep, get your roos used to this one.

Checking chicken mouths can be a pain. If you need two people at first , do it.

I know, they shake their little heads like nothing else on the planet, but you will get there.

I have been chicken bit more than once, it's OK, just do not keep your face near the bird.

I have a few that still struggle, but they finally give in.

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:I'm a veteran, I guess, but I didn't know! Thanks for asking the question, now I have learned several options for when I have to do it! [​IMG]

Let us know how you did it!

9. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Wow, I learned something today! Thanks everyone!

10. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    Thanks for all the replies, and thanks vicschics for the reassurance, [​IMG] and okiron for the laugh! [​IMG]

I have really never been made to feel "stupid" with the responses I get on BYC and everyone has been very patient with me! I tried the cover the eyes method and it worked *with some struggle*. Tomorrow I'm going to try gently pulling on the wattles- I'll let y'all know how it goes. Roo won't be happy with my "experiment" but if I give him a bit of wax worms after, he'll love me again! [​IMG] Isn't bribery illegal in most states? [​IMG]

Thanks again everyone! I [​IMG] this site!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by