Don't let me eat my hens!! I need your help!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by moenmitz, Sep 11, 2008.

1. moenmitz

moenmitz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    The boys are 14 weeks and going to be processed on the 22nd...I have most of the roos sorted out, but these few kind of have me on the fence....

[​IMG]

First up, Buff Rock....now, the other obvious hens have tiny, pale combs, the other obvious roosters, huge combs and obvious saddle feathers...what do we have here do you think? I was thinking roo, but now am not so sure...

[​IMG]
    Next is this barred rock, same scenario as the Buff...comb is in between, saddle feathers kinda iffy to me...

[​IMG]

Turken number 1-Very henny looking I thought, but those kind of look like saddle feathers to me...same with the next one...

[​IMG]

Turken # 2

Lastly....

[​IMG]

White Giant-the other boys have very evident saddle feathers, the other girls, much smaller combs....Your opinion?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  2. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    turken 1 and 2 and BR are hens.

3. moenmitz

Apr 15, 2008
    Quote:By BR, do you mean Buff Rock or Barred Rock?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The Barred Rock is a rooster-I do see those skinny saddle feathers on him. The Buff Rock seems like a rooster, but I'm going to refrain from any guessing on the others.

5. knippk

knippk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Grayson KY
    All boys but the NN's....both hens......100% sure!!!!

6. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    The Turkens are pullets - please don't process those pretty girls. The other three are roos.

7. purplepoen

purplepoen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Michigan
    that's a BR boy

8. moenmitz

Apr 15, 2008
    ok, so consensus is turkens, definitely hens- barred rock is a boy...any firm feelings on the Buff and the White Giant?

9. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    The buff rock could go either way, it just doesn't look as "roostery" as mine did at the same age.

10. moenmitz

Apr 15, 2008
    Yah, see...that is where I am at. I have five Buffs that are very rooster looking...and two that are obvous hens...and this one. I think I shall name it Pat...and wait and see if an egg falls out...lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by