1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Don't Let This Happen To You

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Sugar Sand Farm, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    Here is an email I got today from my cousin who is a lawyer. I am forwarding it onto you all as I have had problems with our Walmart here as well. Not the cash back but twice there have been purchaes on my receipt that I did not buy. They were the first items on the receipt. I was lucky to catch it but you really need to check your receipts before leaving the store.

EXTREMELY IMPORTTANT MESSAGE AND WARNING FOR ANY STORE YOU SHOP IN. BE CERTAIN TO CHECK ALL RECEIPTS AT ALL STORES TO BE SURE THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN TO YOU!!!!! PLEASE READ AND DO NOT JUST DELETE!!!!!

Everybody better start checking their receipts. The world has come to this......I hate to say.

check your receipts

Yes! This is True!

It happened to me at Wal-Mart (Super Store on Clinton Highway, Knoxville TN) a month ago. I bought a bunch of stuff, over $150.00, and I glanced at my receipt as the cashier was handing me the bags. I saw a cash-back of $40.00. I told her I didn’t request a cash back and to delete it. She said I’d have to take the $40.00 because she couldn’t delete it. I told her to call a supervisor. Supervisor came and said I’d have to take it. I said NO! Taking the $40.00 would be a cash advance against my Discover and I wasn’t paying interest on a cash advance!!!!!! If they couldn’t delete it then they would have to delete the whole order.. So the supervisor had the cashier delete the whole order and re-scan everything! The second time I looked at the electronic pad before I signed and a cash-back of $20.00 popped up. At that point I told the cashier and she deleted it. The total came out right. The cashier agreed that the electronic pad must be defective. Obviously the cashier knew the electronic pad was defective because she NEVER offered me the $40.00 at the beginning. Can you imagine how many people went through before me and at the end of her shift how much money she pocketed?

This could probably happen at any store where they give you cash back, so be cautious.

Just to alert everyone. My co worker went to another Wal-Mart in west Knoxville last week. She had her items rung up by the cashier. The cashier hurried her along and didn’t give her a receipt. She asked the cashier for a receipt and the cashier was annoyed and gave it to her. My co worker didn’t look at her receipt until later that night. The receipt showed that she asked for $20.00 cash back. She did not ask for cash back! My co worker called Wal-Mart who investigated but could not see the cashier pocket the money. My co worker then called her niece who works for the bank and her niece told her this. There is a scam going on. The cashier will ask for cash back and had it to her friend who is the next person in line.

Please, Please check your receipts right away when using debit cards. The store has the cashier under investigation now. We can only pray that she is caught very soon.

Nan Herman

I am adding to this. My husband and I were in Wal-Mart in Pigeon Forge, Saturday and paying with credit card when my husband went to sign the credit card signer he just happened to notice there was a $20.00 cash back added. He told the cashier he did not ask nor want cash back and she said this machine has been messing up and she canceled it. We really didn’t think anything of it until we read this email. Please be aware.

KAT

CHECK YOUR RECEIPTS VERY CAREFULLY!

Let me add that this also happened to me last week at the Walker Springs Wal-mart. I did NOT ask for cash back, but my receipt showed that I had.

Becky

And I would Like to add to this also. This happened to me at the Wal Mart store In Elkhart,Indiana. I didn't really look at the receipt until the next day and say there was a $20.00 cash back on it. Of course there wasn't anything I could do about it at this time. So now I look over all my receipts when ever I use a debit or credit card but I always double check it when I'm at Wal Mart.

Don

The

2. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Thats Horrible!! [​IMG]

3. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    WOW [​IMG]

4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I've had the same thing happen to me here in Pompano Beach at a WalMart. I told the cashier that I didn't want $20.00 cash back, and she told me that I pushed the cash back button?! I will always keep an eye out for this from now on. thanks!

6. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
  7. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    I don;t know for sure about the cash back but I do know that on 2 different occassions there were items on my recipt dthat I did not purchase. They were both the first items on my receipt. One was for a large jar of peanut butter (I am allergic so I don't buy it). That was for 3.98 the second was for a bag of chicken nuggets costing 7.98. I went right to the service desk and had them check my order and was given back the money. I don't know how this happened but the clerk did not find either item in my bags.Its not alot of money but it is still stealing in my opinion.

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    The status of this story is as yet undetermined by several hoax reporting websites.

I suggest caution, but not panic or paranoia. Just check your receipt before they shove you along in usual checkout fashion anywhere, not just WalMart.

Apparently, this story has been circulating since 2004.

Here is a link to the Snopes report.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/scams/cashback.asp

9. lichick28

lichick28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK
    Thanks for that info. I've had trouble at Walmart with the prices scanning higher than what they state on the shelves. They say oh you must have picked the wrong item. I then go & bring them the sticker from the shelf to show them but no one logs it in to correct the problem

10. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Ive never had it happen to me. I did hear from a friend of mine that he was overcharged at the gas pump, though. He got some gas, then noticed the quantity didn't jibe with the price he was charged.
    He brought it to their attention and they made it right.

Dont know if it's related or not to the Wal-Mart hoax, but the next time you get gas, by 5 gallons and do the math... before pumping more.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by